turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My First Two Years Filled Single Status

After divorced, I had filed with TurboTaxFile in 2019, 2020 and everything turned out greatly with completely and submitted to IRS. However, I still have not received a dime. I know that I am identity theft victim and I understand for being delayed, but more than two years straight with out getting my refund yet. Therefore, how come it’s taken so long? When it is not even my fault. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Do you know if your 2019 return was accepted?  What did your emails say after you filed?

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return. 

Check your account for 2019.  If it says anything other than "accepted" your return was not filed.  Either it was rejected and you did not notice and/or follow up, or it was never filed at all.

If you chose to file by mail, you had to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you. 

If it was not filed, then print, sign and mail it now.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Did you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund?

Your tax refund was not sent to TurboTax.   TurboTax does not handle your refund at all.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service 

If it was filed and accepted, then you have to follow up with the IRS to see what happened. 

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

If this is about your state refund then contact your state:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/TAS_CaseCriteria_061120.pdf 

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/can-tas-help-me-with-my-tax-issue/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Log into your IRS account to see what they have on file for you :  https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

I just found out that my ex. also, filled joint and turned it in to my personal tax account. 
After, in 2019, 2020.it’s on my 1040 and I didn’t realize it. I am trying do keep up. 

I found out what happened to my other mortgages, someone filed 1089 form under my name using my first property address as an mailing address and using the mortgage address which is my second mortgage address. I really experienced help on this situation because both mortgages under and I did not find anything until 17 later, what should I do to verify and repair it. It’s harder to repair,because they have it as pay off, 

If someone else used your deductions when your filing status was SINGLE, you should file the IRS fraud form -Form 3949-A Information Referral.

Use 1040-X to revise or correct information on an already submitted tax return.

Mention For 3949-A if you filed or will file that.

Review your corrections carefully and be sure it is all correct before mailing.

You can amend two years back. the deadline for the third year back has passed.

I have to mail it myself, something that I just learned. 

@fanfare wrote:

If someone else used your deductions when your filing status was SINGLE, you should file the IRS fraud form -Form 3949-A Information Referral.

Use 1040-X to revise or correct information on an already submitted tax return.

Mention For 3949-A if you filed or will file that.

Review your corrections carefully and be sure it is all correct before mailing.

You can amend two years back. the deadline for the third year back has passed.

Actually, the instructions say not to use form 3949 to report fraud involving yourself.

And this taxpayer can't use a 1040-X amended return to correct a fraudulent return sent in by their ex.  It sounds like the taxpayer here needs to go to their online account, verify if the IRS received their single returns for 2019 and 2020, and if not, mail them in.  They may want to attach a note that they were legally divorced and did not sign or agree to an electronic signature on a joint return. 

@3230598 wrote:

I have to mail it myself, something that I just learned. 

I'm confused at this point as to what you have already done.

Did you actually file a 2019 return, or was it rejected due your ex's joint filing, and you never noticed the rejection.  You may need to print, sign and mail your 2019 return.

Did you actually file a 2020 return, or was it rejected due your ex?  You may need to print, sign and mail your 2020 return.

You should also file a form 14039-T, identity theft affidavit.  You fill this out and mail it to the IRS to explain what kind of identity theft you have experienced (in this case, that your ex filed a joint return after your divorce).  When you mail the form, use a separate envelope from your tax returns, and use a mailing service with tracking and proof of delivery.   You may want to include a copy of your divorce, or at least the page with the judge's signature and the effective date.

When you mail your 2019 and 2020 tax returns, you might want to attach a brief letter explaining that you are filing single because you were divorced, that you never agreed to sign or electronically sign a joint return, and that you have filed a separate form 14039-T.  However, I would not attach the actual 14039 or a copy to the tax returns, because sending multiple copies of the same form can really confuse the IRS.  Send the 2019 return, the 2020 return, and the 14039-T, in three separate envelopes.

Don't forget to check with your state tax department, to see if your returns were filed properly.

Regarding identity theft in general, you can go to www.identitytheft.gov to report identity theft and get tips on straightening out your situation.  You will probably want to get copies of your credit reports, check for debts that are not yours, and then lock or freeze your credit reports so no one else can open new debt in your name.

Regarding a 17 year old mortgage mix-up, I don't really know what you are talking about or what it has to do with taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies