Opus 17
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@3230598 wrote:

I have to mail it myself, something that I just learned. 

I'm confused at this point as to what you have already done.


Did you actually file a 2019 return, or was it rejected due your ex's joint filing, and you never noticed the rejection.  You may need to print, sign and mail your 2019 return.


Did you actually file a 2020 return, or was it rejected due your ex?  You may need to print, sign and mail your 2020 return.


You should also file a form 14039-T, identity theft affidavit.  You fill this out and mail it to the IRS to explain what kind of identity theft you have experienced (in this case, that your ex filed a joint return after your divorce).  When you mail the form, use a separate envelope from your tax returns, and use a mailing service with tracking and proof of delivery.   You may want to include a copy of your divorce, or at least the page with the judge's signature and the effective date.


When you mail your 2019 and 2020 tax returns, you might want to attach a brief letter explaining that you are filing single because you were divorced, that you never agreed to sign or electronically sign a joint return, and that you have filed a separate form 14039-T.  However, I would not attach the actual 14039 or a copy to the tax returns, because sending multiple copies of the same form can really confuse the IRS.  Send the 2019 return, the 2020 return, and the 14039-T, in three separate envelopes.


Don't forget to check with your state tax department, to see if your returns were filed properly.


Regarding identity theft in general, you can go to www.identitytheft.gov to report identity theft and get tips on straightening out your situation.  You will probably want to get copies of your credit reports, check for debts that are not yours, and then lock or freeze your credit reports so no one else can open new debt in your name.


Regarding a 17 year old mortgage mix-up, I don't really know what you are talking about or what it has to do with taxes.


*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*