Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Itemized Deductions Greater than Standard Deduction; Itemized not being included

I've entered itemized deductions for mortgage interest (my mortgage level is below the code threshold), property taxes (it's a little over the $10k max), state sales taxes and charitable deductions.  These show up in the comparison of my 2018 vs 2017 deductions, however they do not carry into the software's Schedule A (each of them has no value), so the program chooses the standard deduction for my 1040, when the itemized deductions are substantially greater.  When I look at the print of my return there is no Schedule A.  Have I done something wrong?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

42 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Itemized Deductions Greater than Standard Deduction; Itemized not being included

are you filing joint ($24k), single ($12k) or head of household ($18k)? 

are you using online of desktop version and if desktop which one (deluxe, premier, etc.)

I'm filing married jointly with 24k std deductions.  My itemized should be around $60k.  Using the desktop Deluxe version.  Thanks!

I suspect it's something on your end; i also use Desktop Deluxe with no issues with respect to itemization.

has your software updated recently (last update was Feb 14)? 

do you have any red exclamation marks in the left column when in Forms View? (i.e. clear any errors)

those are the only ideas I have currently. does any of that solve the problem? 

also, just because of the way you wrote it originally, property taxes AND state taxes are limited to $10,000. are you are still over $24,000 of deductions? 

Thanks again for your input.  I just downloaded and installed today including any updates.   There are no noted errors/exclamation points in Forms view, however I see that there is no Sch A in the forms inventory on the left.  Yes, I should have around $55k in std deductions with the state and property taxes capped at 10k.  

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Let's try this, please.

1. At the top of the forms list, click on Open Form.
  2. Search for Schedule A, then open the form.
  3. Look on Schedule A line 17 to confirm that your itemized deductions exceed $24,000.

If the itemized deductions exceed the standard then go back to step by step mode. Navigate to:

1. Federal Taxes, Deductions and Credits, Say I'll choose what I work on.
  2. Then scroll to the bottom and say done with deductions.
  3. Continue to the page that says the standard deduction is right for you, and check the box change my deduction
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Now another question is the tax return states $24,000.00 is Standard Deduction my friend has $26,600.00, however, the Schedule A is still not being seen nor will it print.

I was able to find the answer.  My friend only had $22,017.00 in deductions & the form recommended to use Standard Deduction. (feeling dumb). 🙂

...and 26,600 is the Std Ded for a MFJ couple, both aged 65 or older.

.......25,300 if only one was older than 65

..........24,000 for both under 65

and each blind person adds 1300 too for a MFJ couple.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
ren

This is happening for me as well. But the options to select a Form is disabled. Need to amend my return as my itemized deductions exceeded the standard and no Schedule A was created

How much were you medical expenses? Only the part that exceeds 7.5% of you AGI is deductible.

How much were your state and property taxes? The deduction is limited to $10,000 in most cases

Can you please summarize the dollar value of your deduction and whether you are single or married for this forum?

It is VERY unlikely that TT is incorrect

.... or did you file standard and not realize you have more deductions that can
Cause you to file itemized???

Hi Hilltopper:

Did you ever get an answer to your question about TurboTax Deluxe not giving you the option of itemized deductions?   I'm having the same problem.

DC9

I have itemized deductions of $14,300, but TurboTax is showing only the standard deduction on my 1040. There is no Schedule A in the list of Forms, and clicking on "Done with deductions" does not take me to a page where I can choose which to use.

Help!

@DC9 TurboTax will only use the greater of the Standard Deduction for your filing status or the total of Itemized Deduction on Schedule A.

Medical Expenses entered on Schedule A are limited to the amount greater than 7.5% of your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income)

State/Local income taxes paid or Sales tax paid (whichever is greater) plus property taxes paid entered on Schedule A is limited to $10,000 ($5,000 if filing as Married Filing Separately)

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2018

• Single - $12,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,000 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,000 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older

To change the deduction type being used -

Enter itemized deductions, choosing in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to itemized deductions, choosing

If you change to Itemized Deductions from the Standard Deduction that was selected, you should see your federal tax refund decrease or the federal taxes owed increase.

DC9

Does the $1,600 standard deduction for over 65 kick in the year after my 65th birthday? I turned 65 last year and it's showing a standard deduction of $13,600.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies