Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

chris-s3

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

right trying to gback and see what I entered-impossible; yes return is filed, but so what why can't I see  my data entry?

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

@chris-s3 wrote:

right trying to gback and see what I entered-impossible; yes return is filed, but so what why can't I see  my data entry?

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return where you can review your entries.  However, under no circumstances should you attempt to add, edit or delete any entries on the tax return that was filed.  The tax return Must be exactly as filed so if it ever needs to be amended the proper information will transfer to the amended return.

@chris-s3 

The ONLINE program doesn't make it easy to access the return to keep users from accidentally messing up the archived filed return.  Once you have the "trick" to open the filed return  make very sure you save a PDF & .taxfile FIRST so just in case you accidentally change the filed return you still have access to the original if needed.  

That is one of the most moronic and intentionally mis-context based  answers I have ever heard.
This was about changing the data BEFORE finalizing the taxes.

I'm convinced all of these moronic "expert" replies are found inside of a manual that people must read to get their paychecks ...a manual that was created either by morons or scammers.
WHY ? If we can restart a paper form before submitting it, then why block us from doing the same here ?
The reason - either your programmers are absolutely **bleep**ty or Turbotax wants it this way for what I assume is some backroom style of scam AS THERE IS ZERO REASON TO PREVENT DATA CHANGE IF THE FORMS WERE NOT YET SUBMITTED!  

@AlsoSmarterThanTheirDevs   Do you want to make changes before you file or review it after filing?  Either way you can go back in.   They are just saying if you already filed be-careful not to change anything .

To change a return If you haven't mailed or efiled yet, see

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-want-to-change-a-return-i-ve-printed-but-haven-t...

If you haven't efiled or mailed your return or it rejected you can go back in and change anything you want.  Do not click on Amend!

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

From Tax Home (the first screen you see after you sign in), scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. You may have to select Show to open the drop down.

Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this is just the workaround).

Then when you are ready to file you can try to switch to efile.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online...

@AlsoSmarterThanTheirDevs wrote:

That is one of the most moronic and intentionally mis-context based  answers I have ever heard.
This was about changing the data BEFORE finalizing the taxes.

I'm convinced all of these moronic "expert" replies are found inside of a manual that people must read to get their paychecks ...a manual that was created either by morons or scammers.
WHY ? If we can restart a paper form before submitting it, then why block us from doing the same here ?
The reason - either your programmers are absolutely **bleep**ty or Turbotax wants it this way for what I assume is some backroom style of scam AS THERE IS ZERO REASON TO PREVENT DATA CHANGE IF THE FORMS WERE NOT YET SUBMITTED!  

IF you read this thread you would have known the answers provided to @chris-s3 were based on the user already filing the tax return.

Correct ... if you have NOT yet filed the return  then when you log in you should have the option to continue the return.   Once that option is gone you need to use the "back door"  option to open it again ... this is a safety feature to keep users from accidentally messing up a filed return.  The other option would be to amend the return if you need to make changes.

If you don't like the online system then I highly recommend using the downloaded version where you can access any return at anytime.  

I am having the same problem.  TurboTax free file online does not show the Add/Edit and trash can icons.  I entered miscellaneous income in the wrong place, then correctly included it with other self-employment income.  When I "Review" the problem section, it shows me what is entered, but there is no way to delete info in the forms, or delete the entire section.

My only options seemed to be to Clear and Restart (No!!), or Print and Mail instead of e-filing.

However, the downloaded pdf from TurboTax is not editable either.

I did like the overall process of using TurboTax to complete my return.  Even though I can't e-file because the return it made has uncorrectable errors, the completed tax forms I downloaded from them will let me create a correct version of the 1040. 

I’m currently experiencing the same problem. I’ve been on the phone 5 times with 3 different reps. It’s a “Product Issue”. I’m waiting on another call back. I hope there’s a fix.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

As long as you haven't filed yet, you can go back and change data in your return. 

You didn't mention exactly what you need to change, but here are some tips on navigating your return:

• Do not try to amend. That is only for returns that are already filed and accepted.
  • Use the search box toward the upper right corner to search for the section you need.
  • If the help content that pops up shows "Jump to'" as the first link, click on that and it will take you to that section.
  • If you need to search on your own, use the menu on the left side of the screen or the tabs near the top of the screen.
  • Personal Info, is things like name, address, Social Security numbers, filing status, dependents, etc. 
  • Federal Taxes starts with income, W-2 forms, 1099 forms, etc.
  • Deductions and Credits is deductions like mortgage interest and credits like Child Tax Credit. Form 1095-A is also in this section under Medical.
  • If you don't know where to look, just select Personal Info and work your way through the return from the beginning.
  • If you are using the mobile app, it may be easier to log on to your return on a computer if you can. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am trying to add another 1098. The rep I was on the phone with already looked for the “Jump To” link but it was not there. We have tried what you have suggested, but that option is not present.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You are correct, there is no 'Jump To' link to add another 1098.

In your Federal Return, click on Deductions & Credits, then click Edit/Review for Mortgage Interest (screenshot).

On the next page, click 'Add a 1098' (screenshot). 

turbo tax wont let me go back & correct my error

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please clarify,

What section do you need to go back to?

What do you need to change?

Where are you in the program at this point? Review?  

Duval-69

i have also had this problem with the new version for 2021 taxes, where i would like to go back to edit one of my charitable donations, but it won't let me get back there, and i have not yet net-filed this return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies