turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kodion
Returning Member

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

ReginaM

You said, "If you are having trouble with a particular entry, reach out to us, we are happy to help!"
Do you charge $ for your help?

I thought I qualified for Earned Income Credit and filled out Turbo Tax with
"Yes, my income was less in 2020"
Turbo Tax said I qualified for it.

Now, I found out that I had used the wrong amount for income (dividends are NOT allowed), so I tried to edit the answers to the questions several times...
Turbo Tax does NOT allow any change!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

If you have already submitted your tax return, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return. You cannot return to the program to make any changes before that. 

If your return got rejected for whatever reasons, you can return to the program to make corrections along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, you will have to amend your return by filing a form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Beginning with the 2019 tax year, you can e-file amended tax returns. If you used TurboTax to prepare Form 1040-X, follow the software's instructions to e-file the amendment.

To see how to amend your taxes, click here: 

Steps to amend in TurboTax

How to file amendment

@kodion

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
etech
Returning Member

This has happened to me also. CANNOT change information. HAVE NOT FILED but will not let me change anything. "SEARCH" only opens up a new tab and asks to sign in. I sign in and it starts all over again. Cannot contact help or customer support. When I called computer would not understand any questions unless you ask it the question it is expecting..... and you have not Idea... it just keeps saying it doesn't under stand the question. When you ask for representative, it says to ask a question first. This became an endless circle. It appears TurboTax does not want to talk to customers. Agree... Turbo Tax is not user friendly. I recommend H&R block.... they have real customer service. 

@etech If you have NOT e-filed go into your account and click Add a State.   You do not really have to add a state.  But clicking on that will let you back in to your return so that you can make changes as necessary.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@etech wrote:

This has happened to me also. CANNOT change information. HAVE NOT FILED but will not let me change anything. "SEARCH" only opens up a new tab and asks to sign in. I sign in and it starts all over again. Cannot contact help or customer support. When I called computer would not understand any questions unless you ask it the question it is expecting..... and you have not Idea... it just keeps saying it doesn't under stand the question. When you ask for representative, it says to ask a question first. This became an endless circle. It appears TurboTax does not want to talk to customers. Agree... Turbo Tax is not user friendly. I recommend H&R block.... they have real customer service. 

You can go back to the 2020 online tax return if you have not e-filed the tax return and only completed the tax return.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return where can make any changes needed before filing the tax return..

etech
Returning Member

Thank you for the help! When I log in online it doesn't have the option to add a state. it just has "intuit account" and sign out. I printed out a copy to review... and all the online account says is that I have already filed.... I just printed out my return to review. I can go through the "See all my returns" then "Add a state", but it just takes me back and askes if I want to amend.... which I do not.... jut want to edit before I file.  I sure hope you can help.

joblo

Turbo tax will no let me edit my return. When I click edit it keeps taking me t the payment page.  I have not yet files.  Very frustrating. As if tax time is not frustrating enough. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

When you log into your return, try not to select pick up where left off. instead check a tab on the left side of your screen that says federal or deductions or whatever you wish to change and see if you can navigate back to that section of your return. 

dortha33

I absolutely will not let you go back and make changes says undefined and logs you out.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Please provide more details about your problem so that we may assist you properly.

I have same problem. Can sign in but get only account management page.

The entire website is garbage.
I am assuming they hired 18 year olds in India to build the website because the system is THAT BADLY MADE.

It should be illegal to push this shotty of a website out as a service that functions as a govt intermediary.

** I AM UNABLE TO CHANGE MY SELECTED PACKAGE **  ..and I am not going to waste my time trying to resolve how to fix their f*ckups.

I filed before the last stimulus and tax credit package was passed. Now I am trying to amend my return since I paid taxes on unemployment. It keeps showing I have a refund, but that the Federal return was rejected. When I click to review, it doesn't takes me right back to the same screen. It won't let me review the Unemployment and Paid Family Leave - Louisiana Workforce Commission section. 

@dalilasteinmetz The iRS does not want you to amend for the tax law change regarding unemployment.

If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-and-deductions/help/am-i-eligible-for-a-new-credit-or-...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs

You *might* need to amend your state return for unemployment that was taxed by your state.

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/state-tax/602307/taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-a-state-by-state-gui...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
chris-s3

ya but I have filed my return, I want to go back to original entry of data and see 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies