Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Is there a link to TurboTax 2019 release notes?

@Caretaker007 Are you still having an issue downloading new state programs?  And are you using the Online or Desktop (CD/Download) platform of TurboTax?

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

I finally called and sat on hold to ask about this.  The customer care people had no idea this was dropped for 2019.  They also said the link was supposed to be removed, but it hasn't been as of 3/6/20 update.  I pointed them to the forum to point out that I'm not the only customer complaining about this.  While they had no immediate solution (as expected), they said they understood my point and would provide the feedback.  I can understand that this is not a big deal PRIOR to the IRS accepting returns, but it still seems completely relevant after the end of January.  We'll see...  At least I know someone knows about it now.

They also mentioned that if an update affects a prior filed return, they are supposed to proactively notify me.  I hadn't filed yet, so I cannot attest to that.

As a retired software developer, I find the current situation with communicating details of updates to be very stupid and entirely unacceptable.

First, we should be given release notes so we know what was changed. If Intuit is embarrassed by the number of changes, that's too bad.  We still need to know what changed.

Second, not correcting the "get details" link is totally and unforgivably unacceptable.  There is no reason ANYONE can give for leading customers to click on a web link that takes them to a page WITH NO HELP!!!

Whoever is in charge of whatever lamebrained policy Intuit implemented to neglect this part of their product should be fired and replaced by a human being who actually cares about how the customer is treated.

Why can't you tell us what changes were made with a critical release?

I have been using TT for over 15 years, and now decide its not important to tell you customers what changes were made.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Thank you for reaching out regarding our release notes, your feedback does not go unnoticed.

We are frequently updating our product to provide users with the best experience possible. To find out more details on updates to our product, please refer to the IRS Forms Availability and State Forms Availability FAQs.

For all other questions regarding the product, please search for Help Articles, start a discussion, or reach out to social or phone support.

What is the TurboTax phone number

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't change anything.  I did exactly what you said.  I checked form availability, searched an answer, started a discussion, and finally called phone support.  None of that provided information regarding bug fixes in the updates, and as of the 3/25 update, the link is still broken for details.

We're still puzzled why TurboTax decided their customers didn't need that information anymore this year when it's been provided for 10+ years.

Thanks.

GabiU
Level 15

Thank you to @DoninGA@Kat  & all of you that have commented on this thread with your feedback.

We are frequently updating our product to provide users with the best experience possible. To find out more details on updates to our product, please refer to the IRS Forms Availability and State Forms Availability FAQs.

For all other questions regarding the product, please search for Help Articlesstart a discussion, or reach out to social or phone support. 

Again, we thank you all for your feedback and the community team has passed this information along to our colleagues. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Replies like this last one are useless (especially the "best experience possible" BS). Unless someone is prepared to explain why the Release Notes were removed, there really is no value in the continued excuses. Just as there is no justifying not even changing the link this far into the tax season.

@MisterBill wrote:

Replies like this last one are useless (especially the "best experience possible" BS). Unless someone is prepared to explain why the Release Notes were removed, there really is no value in the continued excuses. Just as there is no justifying not even changing the link this far into the tax season.

Not being a TurboTax employee and also a long term user I can say:

1)When all tax programs were computer based software, release noted were essential.

2)Today when 80% of users file online, they are totally unaware of any updates because they are done automatically in the background.

3)The same updates are applied to online and desktop at the same time but online users never had access to release notes.

4)Almost all updates are form related and a few "bug" fixes.  Most form updates for needed forms are also displayed onscreen for both online and desktop users so there is no need to repeat that with release notes.

5)Most bug fixes have TurboTax help articles explaining the problem and the fix and most allow you to sign up for an email when  the fix takes place.

6)Form update are published in the available forms list.

I believe that TurboTax developers felt that it was a waste of time to provide separate release notes that only 20% or less users would be interested in, and that were redundant of other published information that has the same information, so they discontinued them at the start of 2019.

Prior to that, the release notes for several years were often several releases behind and did not mention most changes anyway - they have been next to useless for several years.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Then they should fix the program so it either removes the link or points you to the available forms page.

@MisterBill wrote:

Then they should fix the program so it either removes the link or points you to the available forms page.

I agree with that.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@MisterBill  I appreciate that creating release notes might be most useful to only a minor portion of the TurboTax customer base, but I fail to see why at least a list of the altered forms cannot be provided with the update, to allow all customers to assess whether there might be a change that could materially affect their particular tax return.

To merely know that there have been updates to the program or forms, and to then have to go searching through a labyrinth of FAQ pages and forum posts to determine what is different is, to me, one of the most frustrating aspects of most service providers' web sites.

There MUST be a better way to communicate the changes than to throw us all in the briarpatch of FAQs.

You don't need to go searching - form availability is here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

I liked the release notes - what changed and when.  The Successful Updates screen shouldn't have "More Details" links that don't go anywhere.

Oh, so people who buy the software (desktop users) are a 20% minority who deserve no more than the on-line users? You say the  on-line users were always kept in the dark and so they had no reason to complain.  So lets take a feature from the other users;  are there marketing notes that tell prospective purchasers  what has been removed from last years version?  No, they just get a surprise after purchase.  You make it seem that the only concern is "forms".  What about the dialog that puts the inforrmation in the form?  Are there additional questions?  Is there a qualification to the answer?

Also its good to hear that "the release notes for several years were often several releases behind and did not mention most changes anyway - they have been next to useless for several years."   So before those "several years," the release notes were up to date and did mention most changes.  In general, I would say the TT of 10 years ago was better; now for sure its time to look for alternatives.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies