turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is there a link to TurboTax 2019 release notes?

So amazingly enough, my New York State module was updated today (4/9/2020) and I hit the 'whats new link' expecting to see the usual form not found.  But it actually brought me to a t/y 2019 panel indicating the change to tax filing dates into July 2020. Amazing.  The webpage had the update of "last updated April 08, 2020 10:21 AM" on it.

Now I wonder if an update to the Federal side of things will also link to a live, useful, page now.

Progress!

The TurboTax Product Team has finally made the decision to activate the More details link to access a Support FAQ for 2019 Release Notes - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/turbotax-release-notes-for-windows-personal-ta...

GabiU
Level 15

Thanks to your feedback, Release Notes is making a comeback! We're working on a process to make sure you all get updated information. 

You've made a difference and we appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us on the community. 

Happy filing! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am glad to hear this, but it should have been a no-brainer from the start. For YEARS, we in the Intuit TurboTax blogosphere complained about the info starting late (around February, even though product updates were being made as early as January). So why in the world would removing them altogether seem like the right thing to do?! But I'm glad it's been resolved.

This is great news. And kudos to @AndrewQQ  for trying the link again. I'd given up!

So now it's 20 June. More than two months later and still no release notes with any useful information. The link you provided shows this:

TurboTax 2019 release notes for Windows personal tax software

Thank you for choosing TurboTax, America's #1 brand of tax software!

We update our software regularly to ensure 100% accuracy and your maximum tax refund – guaranteed.

This release may include general maintenance, bug fixes, performance improvements, and program enhancements so you can file your return with confidence and ease. At this time, all federal and state tax forms are final.

Reminder: The April deadline to file your 2019 federal return or extension and pay any taxes – including first- and second-quarter federal estimated taxes for 2020 – has been pushed to July 15.

--------------------

"May include..." This is no more than we were told before. It's absolutely meaningless! Labeling something as release notes and then having no information whatsover is an insult. How insulting! We wanted release notes and you gave us some stupid link that just calls itself release notes without having any.

If I have missed something or am not looking where the release notes really are, I aplogize and request to be directed there.

I also noticed that this URL https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

shows a release 84.1 for TT 2018. How did it go from R48 to R84.1? I thought this was a typo but the filename reflects this. [phone number removed].exe vs [phone number removed].exe

Is this correct?!

@coolyman_TT wrote:

I also noticed that this URL https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

shows a release 84.1 for TT 2018. How did it go from R48 to R84.1? I thought this was a typo but the filename reflects this. [phone number removed].exe vs [phone number removed].exe

Is this correct?!

You posted the link to the manual update FAQ so follow the directions in it to update.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@coolyman_TT wrote:

So now it's 20 June. More than two months later and still no release notes with any useful information. The link you provided shows this:

They activated the link so it is not longer a "dead link".   I know of no plans to ever supply actual release notes that were discontinued a year or so ago.   There were NEVER any release notes for any versions other than the Windows desktop that those were incomplete, few and far between and  never of much use anyway. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I know how to manually update. The point is that if this is not an error, what changed to go from R48 to R84.1? Do I need to install 2018 and update it to this weird R84.1 to find out whether I need to file an amended return or not?

Thank you. It seems as though this is just to shut up the complainers clamoring for release notes or not to be misled by a broken URL. I suppose it will remain a mystery why they could not simply remove reference to this in the application itself. Maybe the right hand knows what the left hand is doing but won't cooperate.

@coolyman_TT wrote:

I know how to manually update. The point is that if this is not an error, what changed to go from R48 to R84.1? Do I need to install 2018 and update it to this weird R84.1 to find out whether I need to file an amended return or not?

Many form updates mainly.     If you already filed and were not waiting for a missing form then there is probably no reason to update  (unless you just want the software to be current in case of future needs or amendments).   If you need to amend then you would need to update since the IRS recently updated the 1040X form.   If there was a problem that might have affected the tax on an already filed return then you should have received an email from TurboTax  suggesting that you update and amend to correct the error.

FYI ... all users of the downloaded version must keep a copy of their filed returns both as a .taxfile and a PDF totally separate from the hard drive.    Once you have filed you should shut off the auto  update function and only update  the program to amend the return or start a new one.  If you want to see if any of the program changes then wait until after the filing season ends in October and run a program update AFTER you start the amendment process ... that way you can see if any of the program fixes affects your return. 

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies