Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is anyone having issues with the activation box not accepting characters?

I just bought your turbotax 2022 from Amazon and the activation code box is not allowing me to enter anything at all. It seems locked out. I have the correct activation code from Amazon, but the software won't let me enter any characters at all. Is this an Intuit issue or Amazon?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try updating the software. Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

@elwoodii

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

43 Replies

I don't have an answer...but please describe your OS.

Windows 10, or 11?

MAC version?

Could be a strongly set anti-virus setting?

Another thing that temporarily blocked some of my Windows 10 software?

.....A waiting Windows OS update...if  partially installed and waiting, the Windows update needed to be completed and system reboooted....then the TTX stuff worked fine.  There were some Windows updates issued this week (or was it last?) that need installation.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

There have been issues with screen resolution in the past so perhaps changing that will resolve the issue.

Currently running Windows 11 with all updates currently installed.

Restarted computer. Removed Turbotax 2022, restarted computer, Reinstalled TurboTax 2022.

Also changed resolution, scaling size, and turned off any Virus software which just happens to be Microsoft.

Still an issue.  

I have been in I.T. for over 45 years and this is not new to me. My experience has been -it's always the programmer that created an issue. Just not sure if it's Intuit or Amazon's I.T department. 

Intuit states this being an issue in the past of CDrom or Downloads and not having the correct activation key or software distribution.

I have reported your issue to the moderators. 

Windows 11 is pretty new, and I'm sure not all OS-interaction bugs have been discovered yet.

1)  You could try installing in Compatibility mode for Windows 10 to see if that helps

2)  Make sure that when you install the .exe file, you Run As Administrator?

or, unless someone else has a possible idea.

3) wait until tomorrow, when Customer Service is open during daytime working hours...and get it reported....they may already have a workaround.  Phone numbers are only available when CS is open:

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dmertz
Level 15

My experience is with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.   I've been unable to paste a copied activation code by using Shift-Insert but pasting using Ctrl-V has worked.  Typing in the code character-by-character has also worked for me.

Make sure that your display driver is up-to-date.

SuziM

@daniel-g-farrell I'd like to follow up to see if you are still experiencing this activation box issue? 

After toying with it a few times, uninstall, reinstall and having no success, I restarted my tablet and made sure I didn't use my screen keyboard and only used my real keyboard. It still failed, but I did a CNTR V and it seemed to paste in the activation key. Later while using the program, I couldn't enter in any of my W2 information ( for budgeting). The only way I could get it to work was to go to the form itself, not using the guided step-by-step.

I'm limping by now.

Tablet?  What kind of computer?  You mean a laptop?  You can't install Turbo Tax on a tablet or mobile device.  

I beg to differ. 

I am using a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 Windows 11 Tablet with integrated keyboard. Touchscreen to use as a tablet. I used the same type prior for the last 5 years using Windows 10.

If you are blatantly telling me that this can’t be done, I want specific minimum specifications sent to me by an Authorized Employee of Intuit.  If this is the case, I will ask for my money back. As I read the system requirements when I purchased the product.

You should be careful about jumping the gun and make accusations on something you really don’t know anything about.

Sorry.  Usually the word tablet refers to something like an iPad.  You seem to meet the minimum requirements.  2022 Desktop System Requirements

TurboTax CD/Download 2022-2023 System Requirements

Again, sorry I jumped in.  

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax developers seem to have used two different user-interface packages in TurboTax.  The one used for W-2 entries and in several other areas is horrible.  It's possible that they are using this same horrible UI package for the activation dialog.

Thanks. I thought it was me. I found a way to limp through it for now.

SuziM

Thanks for getting back to me with the additional info regarding the activation code, @daniel-g-farrell. In regards to the W2 issues you're facing, are you unable to enter any numbers into the guided interview portion? Or are you trying to import a W2? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies