turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do you have to pay to file your state taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

In the Online products there is no charge for a state return in the Free Edition. There is a charge for the state return in the Deluxe, Premier, Self Employed and Live products. You can review those product offerings here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

In the Desktop CD/Download products there is a charge for a state return in the Basic product. 1 state is included in the Deluxe, Premier and Home & Business products. You can review those product offerings here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

In the Online products there is no charge for a state return in the Free Edition. There is a charge for the state return in the Deluxe, Premier, Self Employed and Live products. You can review those product offerings here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

In the Desktop CD/Download products there is a charge for a state return in the Basic product. 1 state is included in the Deluxe, Premier and Home & Business products. You can review those product offerings here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

kellyj97

But WHY do I have to pay for my state taxes now?

It stands to reason that if I have to pay for your deluxe service that I shouldn't have to pay extra for something which would ordinarily no cost anything, or at the very least have the option to select which services I choose individually.

To that end, customers should be able to degrade from Deluxe to free if they so choose WITHOUT having to clear and restart. 

kaylyn2

Y'all are sneaky b***tards.  I can't believe I just paid $40 dollars to receive less service. I hate the feeling of being punked. Not that the other companies would be more honest, but for ethics sake I have to switch for next year. Can I make a new account without the deluxe?

Why do I have to pay $50 to submit state taxes if I chose the Delux for federal. What is the difference between the state free edition and this one. Something feels odd here..

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

The Free edition of TurboTax Online is only for "simple" tax returns, without any additional schedules.  If you don't qualify for the Free federal tax return, you can't file a free state tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BearDown808
Returning Member

I paid $45 for the Arizona state tax version in TurboTax, why am I being charged $25 to e-file AZ state taxes? That should be in stated in big bold letters that I'll be charged at e-filing before purchasing the state tax version. I've been a loyal Turbotax hard copy buyer for years and years now. I'm a little upset at not being told about the filing fee before the state purchase.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Which product are you using? Most desktop products don't charge to download one state but there is an e-file fee which you can avoid if you mail your state tax return. Please see this for more information: Is there a fee to e-file my state taxes in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dashocka

It switched to Deluxe and I had no way to "fix it" to the Free verssion- going through this again it switched again, fine I'll pay the $59 because of a little premium tax credit.

Now there's another $118 for TT States on top of it totaling $216 fees to file. I made 14k in 2022 FFS what the hell is this I have to pay more to pay more?

If you have a 1095A for marketplace health insurance you are not eligible to use the Free Edition.  So you upgraded to Deluxe and then you are subject to the pricing structure for Deluxe--which means you pay $59 for the federal return and $59 for the state return.   That is how the fees work for online.

Avoid choosing "refund processing service" so that you do not end up paying an extra fee of $39 (or $45 in CA) to have a third party bank receive your refund and take out your fees.   Pay for using TT upfront by using a credit card to pay your fees.

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons:

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dashocka

Yes it's a 1095-A that is new for 2022.

Excellent reply and thanks for the heads up about third party banking.  Appreciate your quick reply!

(y)<3

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Free Edition is free as long as it is a simple return that files a 1040 with no additional schedules or upgrades. Please see Why am I being charged for TurboTax Free Edition? for more information.  

@dashocka 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies