turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

I was trying to file my taxes and they said someone filed me as a dependent and I wasn’t aware of that at all

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

@SmoothJT21 Do you fit the criteria to be claimed as someone else's dependent?   Can a parent or someone else who has supported you in 2020 claim you as a dependent?   Are you someone else's qualifying child or qualifying relative?  Please read the criteria:

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2020 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

•They are related to you.

•They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

•They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

•They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

•They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

•They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

•They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

•They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

•They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

•They made less than $4300  (not counting Social Security)

•You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

If no one else can/should claim you as a dependent and did so already in error, then you cannot e-file your 2020 return.   If you can say in My Info that no one else can claim you as a dependent then you need to print, sign and mail your return instead of e-filing it.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Expect it to take much longer for the IRS to process a mailed return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My sister carried me on her tax return without my permission. It is causing me to have not received any of the 3 stimulus checks which is causing me more stress on getting back to work. What do I need to do? 

Thank you for any help or information you can give me. Have a great evening. 

Feel free to call me if necessary at: [phone number removed]. 

Patricia McIntyre 

@TriciaMc53 

Please read the reply that is directly above the question you posted.   The reply applies to your situation too.   You say that your sister claimed you as a dependent.   Did your sister pay for over half of your support in 2020?  Did you have less than $4300 of income?   Please read what it says above.   If you cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent then you should prepare and file your own tax return and send it in by mail.   You cannot e-file   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Exoticeuropean
Returning Member

What if someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission and receive my economic impact payment without my knowledge and I didn’t receive anything? Because I was going to file my own 2020 tax return to receive the economic impact payment that I was eligible to get. Also I know that a person does not need permission but I am 24 years old and I take care of myself I don’t live with anyone so there is no one supporting me but me. I’m not sure what to do because I want my own economic impact payment that I was supposed to get but that person received it what do I do about that especially because I need money? I was told that they would give it back, Plus more to me when the real federal taxes was issued out But who knows when that’s going to be issued out I need the money now but I also don’t wanna mess up prolong me getting the money from their taxes even longer

Only focus on YOU ... there is nothing you can  or need to do about the other person.

You need to simply mail in your return and have the missing first 2 stimulus payments listed  on line 30 of the form 1040.  Then once your mailed in return has finally been processed the third stimulus should be released.  If it doesn't then you can apply for the stimulus credit on the 2021 return. 

@Exoticeuropean The only EIP payment anyone could possibly have received for claiming you would have been the 3rd payment, since no one could get the 1st or 2nd EIP payment for a dependent older than 16.

If you were claimed and could NOT be claimed then file your own tax return that says no one can claim you---the question about that appears in My Info.   Then print, sign and mail your own tax return.   If someone already used your SSN to claim you then you cannot e-file.   The IRS will sort out who could (or could not) claim you--so don't worry about what the other person does with the EIP money if they got it.

You can use the recovery rebate credit on your own 2020 return to get the 1st and 2nd payments if you did not receive them, and later you will be able to get the 3rd one.  There is no place on a 2020 tax return to enter anything about the 3rd stimulus check.   It is issued by the IRS later.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

I nvr talked to anyone at irs or turbo tax   I took care of him for a year have proof on cash app credit cards and my grandmother can prove he tried to steal money from her her he also tried to steal from me maegen terrazas and I e filed when a week after 4/20/21 when he claimed me w no right or truth what do I do know

@Maegen85 wrote:

I nvr talked to anyone at irs or turbo tax   I took care of him for a year have proof on cash app credit cards and my grandmother can prove he tried to steal money from her her he also tried to steal from me maegen terrazas and I e filed when a week after 4/20/21 when he claimed me w no right or truth what do I do know

Unfortunately this happens quite often.  Either someone mistakenly entered your SS number on their return or intentionally.  In any case if their tax return was received by the IRS and accepted, then you can only print and mail your tax return.  If you are owed a tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Shortly, within a year, the IRS will be sending you and the other party an inquiry in the mail to determine who was incorrect in entering you as a dependent.  Respond to any IRS notices you receive as the loser of the investigation must pay back any refund plus penalties and interest.

Tjboilard

A man and I have lived together almost 10 years. I believe he claimed me 2015-2019. The criteria isn’t met, nor was my permission. We bought a house in Franklin NH. He has claimed the house interest credit and claimed me while he hid a 401k

@Tjboilard wrote:

A man and I have lived together almost 10 years. I believe he claimed me 2015-2019. The criteria isn’t met, nor was my permission. We bought a house in Franklin NH. He has claimed the house interest credit and claimed me while he hid a 401k

If you were eligible to be claimed as a dependent as a non-relative under the Qualifying Relative rules, he does not need your permission.  If you could not be claimed as a dependent then you should have filed a tax return indicating you were NOT a dependent.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household.
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,300 (social security does not count) in 2020
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.
6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

what if you don’t know who claim you.

@Joshawn200 wrote:

what if you don’t know who claim you.

If you are filing a tax return and the other party files their return before you with you being entered as a dependent, then you will have to print and mail your tax return as it cannot be e-filed.

You not knowing who claimed you does not prevent you from filing your own tax return and if you are owed a tax refund the IRS will pay you refund.  The IRS will contact you and the other party by mail to investigate this issue within a year.

My dad claimed me and shouldnt have because im 32, not disabled and havent lived with him in years, when i filed online the irs wouldnt accept my return unless i chose the option that i could be claimed as a dependent. So now i have to amend it and send it through the mail right?

What you should have done was printed, Ink signed and mailed in the return but since you did it you now need to amend to correct the return.

You can alert him that he also needs to amend his return however it is not required that you do so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies