turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I filed my taxes but don’t mail them in what happens

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you e-filed your returns, there is no need to mail them in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did not e file my taxes. What will happen since I did not mail in the tax forms?

@Casey18  wrote:

I did not e file my taxes. What will happen since I did not mail in the tax forms?

If you have no taxes owed or have a tax refund, there are no penalties for filing after the due date of the tax return.

If you are not going to e-file the 2019 tax return, print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include a copy of any W-2's and/or Form 1099's which have federal taxes withheld.

If you have taxes owed, file your tax return.  Pay the taxes owed.  The IRS will send you a bill in the mail for any penalty or interest owed since the tax return was filed after the due date.

If you don't efile or mail the tax return then nothing happens.  It doesn't get filed at all.  You have to efile or print and mail them.

How to mail a return from the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

Where to mail federal paper returns

https://www.irs.gov/uac/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

If you did not e-file and did not mail them. then nothing happens.  Your tax return was not filed just because you filled out a Form 1040.  Unless you either e-file or print it, sign it and mail it, then you get no tax refund and the IRS does not process it--because you did not send it.

So--pick one.  E-file it by going all the way through the FILE section and click that big orange button that says "Transmit my returns now" and e-file it.  Then watch your emails to see if it is accepted or rejected.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

If you want to file by mail instead of e-filing:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state must be mailed to different addresses.  When you print to mail the returns it will print out with a page of mailing instructions including the addresses to use.

Mailed returns are taking a very long time---the IRS has been backlogged and has only begun to open piled up mailed returns that accumulated for months in trailers.  So if you file by mail, expect a long wait.

Even if you e-file, processing has been delayed.  You can watch for the status of your refund on the IRS site:

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies