turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkohorst

If I don't have a question -- I am trying to report a bug -- should I be worried that you don't accommodate bug reports?

"Box 9a. Your Percentage of Total Distribution If this is a total distribution and it is made to more than one person, enter the percentage received by the person whose name appears on Form 1099-R. You need not complete this box for any IRA distributions or for a direct rollover. "
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

60 Replies

If I don't have a question -- I am trying to report a bug -- should I be worried that you don't accommodate bug reports?

I have been writing software for more than 30 years. Intiuit does a very good job of keeping the bug count low ... but, having said that, it needs to be pointed out that bug free development is a fantasy. I also found a bug (I found a work-around) and I am very disturbed that there is no software bug reporting mechanism.

Intuit can offer their software free if they want ... but any software user should be able to report a bug.

ernstwiz

I just TELEPHONED support and read off my list of bugs.  Not only did the attendant take down the list carefully, she also acknowledged that she had experienced some of the same bugs.  I don't think I've ever had such good service anywhere before.  I'm really delighted.

The Feds rejected my tax forms with error F2210-003 due to a Turbotax bug.  The bug was introduced 2/15 with an upgrade.  After paying a $50 expect help fee, I was assured over the phone Sunday that the bug would be fixed Monday.  When I called back on Monday I was told the bug would be fixed today 2/22.  I received no information whether the fix happened.  After stumbling through incoherent paths, I can only conclude that I will have to pay to refile for a Turbotax bug, not being sure if the bug were fixed or not.          

BTW, "Expert Help" has not returned my calls since the first one.  
mmtokarz

Today I noticed a bug, where removing or changing retiring allowance from box 66 in T4 does not recalculate RPP Deduction Worksheet. I tried to call support to report the bug, but after series of menus they put me on hold, and then hung up the phone. Intuit does not seem to have any service allowing users to file bug reports.

Turbo Tax support sucks. I too have a bug to report but you can't talk to anyone. The audit risk erroneously reports that I am claiming debt cancellation, which I absolutely am not. This is a bug!!!!!

You are correct, it appears that there is no mechanism to report a Software Bug or to Suggest a Product improvement. 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

When you contact a support individual at TurboTax, an agent will attempt to resolve your issue. If the issue cannot be resolved by the agent, it is  "escalated" to the appropriate department and you will receive a callback, usually within a day, when a resolution has been found for the issue.

If there is a problem in the program, it will be transferred to the proper department or individual so it can be fixed.

So, the most effective way to report an issue with the TurboTax program is to contact us as follows:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Because of the complexity of the tax preparation process, it is best for us to have access to your tax return, in the form of a diagnostic copy, in order to expedite the corrective process. Consequently, a post here on community is not a preferred mechanism to report a problem with the TurboTax program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This process isn't exactly how it happens.  I've called 3 times.  Spoke to 3 reps about a bug.  First rep apparently never actually opened a ticket.  The next 2 opened tickets after trying to push me off to a tax expert (I'm reporting an issue with turbo tax, I don't need tax help).  After about an hour I received emails that my case has been closed.  No contact from turbo tax.  No fix.  No information at all.  The CARES act in 2020 made some changes that turbo tax isn't handling.  It's surprising that a year has passed and they haven't updated their software.  Even sadder that they won't address the issue after multiple tickets have been opened.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@aufderha3  You are commenting on an older thread, but there is no question that all of the tax law changes has created a real challenge in programming.  A lot of these provisions are intertwined with others, and some were passed very, very close to the start of the tax season, which has created logistics challenges.  Still, our desire is to make sure everyone can file accurately.  Feel free to comment here the challenge you are experiencing.  If it is a "known experience", we will share with you what we have on it.  If not, we will try to find a way to investigate further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The problem I'm encountering should be a simple one.  During the step by step process if you answer "yes" to having a Net Operating Loss (NOL) there are no further questions.  At this point turbotax generates the election form to forgo the carryback option and carryforward the NOL.  Without any indication this was done.  What I want to do is a carryback.  Per the CARES act in early 2020 we can now carryback 5 years or forward indefinitely.  Turbotax mentions the TCJA but that info is no longer valid thanks to  the CARES act.  I read posts that there was a question in previous versions after you indicate you have an NOL that asks if you want to carryforward or backwards.  That's all I'm looking for is the choice to carryback and have the carryback election form generated so I can e-file my return.

Thank you for answering me.  I hope this is an update/fix that can be implemented.

DanielV01 were you able to find anything out?  Will Turbotax be including CARES info from 2020 or will they continue to reference the outdated TCJA?

I totally agree. As a programmer for over 30 years I believe a company who has no bug reporting facility to be run by conceited programmers who don't want to hear quality control issues.

Posting in this forum does "report the bug" if you care to  but if you are referring to the 2021 program then it is very buggy right now and not fully operational and will not be until many many updates have been applied.

Although the downloaded program becomes available every year sometime in  November with the online following sometime  in December  they are NOT fully operational programs ... they are only beta versions.  The final program and the state programs are never fully operational until late January at the earliest.  

http://taxpreparationsoftware.com/

ANY tax software released by any company prior to about January 15 is only released for marketing and market share.  No program is complete and ready to file until the IRS approves their final forms and then individually reviews each program's implementation of the form.  And some tax situations aren't able to be filed until February or March, again mostly due to IRS delays.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies