turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've tried to upload a pdf of my W-2, via file upload and via drag and drop. No error messages, no signs of 'complete'. It shows scanning for viruses, stops. Ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

I've tried to upload a pdf of my W-2, via file upload and via drag and drop. No error messages, no signs of 'complete'. It shows scanning for viruses, stops. Ideas?

That will not work.  You can take a photo of a W-2 when you use the mobile app.  Just type your W-2 in manually.  All of your W-2's must be entered on the same tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your W-2 comes from your employer.  Employers have until January 31 to issue your W-2.  Some employers are partnered with TT to allow you to import your W-2 in to your tax return.  You do need some information from the actual W-2 in order to do the import.  If your employer has not yet issued W-2’s you have to wait.  Do not file a tax return unless ALL of your W-2’s have been entered on the SAME tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1934390-how-do-i-import-my-W-2

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2588751-why-can-t-i-import-my-w-2

Anonymous
Not applicable

it is also possible that your w-2 for 2019 has not been finalized yet. if so, it won't be available for import.   

This is 2 years running that this feature does not work.  It’s stuck scanning for viruses. My company uses UKG Pro and there is no option to connect via API either.  Manually typing in W-2 though not hard is subject to key stock errors.  Disappointed again. 

@Scattie wrote:

This is 2 years running that this feature does not work.  It’s stuck scanning for viruses. My company uses UKG Pro and there is no option to connect via API either.  Manually typing in W-2 though not hard is subject to key stock errors.  Disappointed again. 

Only a 2020 W-2 can be imported into a 2020 tax return.  Prior tax year W-2's cannot be imported at all.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for importing a W-2 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-or-enter-my-w-2/01/26253

I found this thread and just wanted to comment about the two years that this has not worked for me.  The answer to previous user who had this problem didn't even make sense in the context of this problem.  The problem is that the PDF scanning software has failed to recognize both my wife's 2019 W2 (last year) or her 2020 W2.  It just goes on spinning the little wheel and telling me it's scanning for viruses.  I wonder if it has something to do with the content (of boxes like and/or format of the W2.  Surely it works for some people?

Gregski

just wanted to contribute (strength in numbers) so it's January 21st 2021 and I just tried uploading my W2 PDF and it is still doing exactly what the original poster described, I am using Chrome as my browser and browsed to the PDF instead of drag and dropping it and it just says Scanning for viruses, this is ridiculous 

I finally succeeded in getting it to upload. What I found is don’t use a PDF. Take a picture of the document and then set it up as a JPEG. I literally printed it out took a photo and then drag and dropped it and it worked. Good luck

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You may want to try disabling your virus protection to upload your W2, then turn it back on after your upload is complete. Some programs and firewall protections do not recognize TurboTax as a legitimate program. Please see Security software and TurboTax for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Gregski

I don't have any virus protection on my computer (yes I know that's crazy, but when I get infected I just rebuild it and it runs 1,000 times faster than all of yours, ha ha), this is the TurboTax virus scanning that's doing it not my browser or my computer

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

@Gregski  If you are using TurboTax on your computer, you can either type your W-2 info in manually, or import it from your employer.

You can't upload a PDF of your W-2, sorry.

Click this link for instructions on How To Import or Enter My W-2.

I am having the same issue on January 22nd, 2021.  I've used TurboTax Deluxe for years, and frankly this year is the first time I've ever tried to upload my W-2.  EPIC FAIL!!  Back to inputting it manually.  Next year I'll probably look at other software.  This should be massively simple.  Good grief. 😬

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can take a picture via the mobile app, which will then upload to TurboTax Online. Here's how:

1. Download the mobile app (if you don't already have it) on the iOS or Android device you want to use to snap the picture.
  2. Sign in to the app (if you’re not already signed in), open or continue your return, and then:
    • Select the menu icon in the upper left.
    • Select Federal, then Wages & Income.
    • Under Wages and income, select Job (W-2), on the next screen, select Work on my W-2 now, and select Continue.
      • If you've already entered a W-2, select Add another W-2.
  3. You will next see the OK, let's get what's in Box b screen.
    • This screen allows you to import your W-2 by entering your employer ID number.
    • To take a picture of your W-2, continue to the next screen.
  4. On the OK, how would you like to enter your W-2? screen, select Snap a photo of my W-2.
  5. Make sure your W-2 is lying flat on a plain, well-lit surface. We'll direct you on how to get the best photo and automatically snap the picture for you.
    • Note: This picture won't be saved on your device, nor in your TurboTax account.
  6. TurboTax will automatically import your information, or direct you to type it in if there’s a problem. You'll have the opportunity to compare the information entered with your W-2 and to make changes if needed.

You can continue in the mobile app or sign into TurboTax Online where your information will now be uploaded.

Go here to see how to take a picture of your 1099-MISC in the mobile app.    @exechootive

CSteele

I have this same issue. I tried uploading a .pdf and then a .jpg version of my W-2 and both times I only got the "Scanning for Viruses" wheel but it never finishes. 

Manage cookies