Why can't I import my W-2?
The most common reason is that your employer's payroll provider isn't a TurboTax Import Partner.
Other possible reasons include:
- You don't have your employer's EIN (Employer Identification Number);
- Your W-2 isn't yet ready for import (it should be available no later than February 1);
- Your employer has shut down W-2 import because it's after April 18, 2017;
- Your employer requires that you enter the Control Number (box d) from your W-2, which you don't have;
- You don't have the Box 1 amount from your W-2 (you can substitute the YTD or Year-to-Date gross income from your 2016 year-end paystub).
For your added convenience, we now offer the option of auto filling your W-2 data by taking a picture of your W-2 paper form with your smart phone.