turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sabwat86

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

94 Replies

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

This does not work any better. I mean the options leads you to a chance of possibly being connected, but eventually the automated systems tells you there's a high volume of calls and to call on a different day. Chances are that you will not reach them. 

Rodney84

I agree this is one way that works. Although we had to press 4 at the very end for all other inquiries and then it starts ringing for an agent.

Doesn't work anymore. Now when I do this, I get a message saying "Sorry, due to technical difficulties we cannot answer your call" and they hang up. I guess people have tried that too many times lol

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Have you tried calling the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center for help? 

Use this link Taxpayer Assistance Center Office Locator it find the phone number and address of the IRS Assistance Center closest to your location.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did, several of them. Left voicemails; have yet to hear from them.

It is a disaster right now. Local offices closed, not even available through phone. IRS phone lines hang up on you due to call volume (tried at several times, 7am first thing, between 8-9am, 10am etc) and when you try to skip ahead through this method they still hang up on you. Tax Advocates not returning voicemails either...

I received a 5071C notice from the irs i filed with turbo tax and now the irs says my information is not correct. I cant contact them either online or by telephone because all offices are shut down. The information that I gave them on the verify id webpage is current and correct and has been the same for over 20 years. It has never changed. Whats the problem? Did turbo tax do something wrong?

I've tried calling a tax assistant. I left a message. They called me back without making an appointment and they called using a private blocked number. They were to notify me first. The lady who left a message was rude plus told me that they didn't handle that type of service. Telling me they could only help me after I verified who I was with the IRS. Even though the IRS said to notify them if you couldn't get a hold of them that they could help. I tried all options. Online I get locked out every time. On the phone they go through command prompts and hang up and the TAS tells me they don't handle it. Doesn't give you much of an option to be able to respond in 30 days.

Ive tried my local IRS tax advocate and when they called back they called back with a private number and just left me a voice mail and she was rude as i said before. She said until I identify myself to IRS first she cannot help me after i do that then they can help. She said I identified myself to her but she was the wrong person for me to be identifying myself with. Told me I would have to wait til IRS came back in when I called them back leaving a message. in that message I asked her what to do because they gave me only 30 days to respond to their request and if not I lose my refund and stimulus. By the time I got the notice letter I had lost 2 weeks. My time is up in 8 days. This isnt fair. Now im having a problem with the stimulus because they say I am getting it but they put in an unknown bank account. They are blaming all the e-file  and the paid preparers because they are now saying that our refunds and stimulus is going into their accounts and they are sending us paper checks. Its one mess after another. I change the e-file system I used this year due to Turbotax not having the form for free..I thought that was the problem but its not. Its everyone.

Stephtay

This is the exact problem I'm experiencing..I can't get through either way...I need help and answers

Carrammel 90
Returning Member

Calling the local office doesn't work neither. I tried and they already have an automatic message and hang up at the end of the message. Turbo tax you have to do something. Our tax return are being delayed because we can't reach out to the IRS. and there's no email address to send request to. It's very inconvenient.

I've used every number and the IRS web portal. I even tried acting like I need to May a payment. That's when I get a live agent. But then they tell me there is nothing they can do because it's not their department. I've seen others do as I did to change address. They seem to be able to do that. But then she gave me the help desk number. They just hang up after recording to. She tried telling me if I didn't have what they needed to register and it keeps locking me out even though I know my information, to keep clicking on the link til it opens up and if it doesn't, it will act as if you don't know or have the information, it will let you in. Well she was wrong. I need someone live a.s.a.p to respond to a 5071c letter. My times almost up due to closing and IRS portal having many flaws. Even to the Get My Payment. Another thing I have to get corrected because IRS put into an unknown account. Not sure if that account belongs to someone. I don't have a bank and if I cannot respond to letter, I lose the refund. If they knew they were shutting down offices the same day they sent out letters, they knew people couldn't respond. Should have on letters that we could respond when they open back up. In the letter it states if you do not reply in time requested we cannot process a refund. I have also called TAS as the letter has said if I haven't been able to contact IRS. They call me back. They don't set up appointments like they say in letter and when they call the do it from a private number, leave a message that's it. They say my letter isn't in their job description. They said I verified my ID with them when ii called and my phone number but they are not the ones I had to identify myself to. I needed to do that with IRS first before they could help me. It's a wild goose chase.

See https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification for current IRS procedures for 5071C letters.

I've tried that rainman12. It will not let me log into my IRS account on the web portal and without signing in you cannot do the id verify. Keeps trying to get me to re register. I don't have the loans, mortgage or credit card to verify my identity when you register. I keep getting locked out and keep getting a different reason as to why I can't log in. Either info doesn't match their records, don't have an account or it tells me I'm unauthorized to sign in. I know my information and password. And why at times I do not understand, when I check stimulus or refund status it acts as if I'm signed in and will sign me out after I have checked status. So if I'm not logged in and it locks me out and won't let me sign in, then how are they signing me out for security purposes. Just so screwed up and people don't seem to get what I'm am saying. If I cannot sign in I can't sign in. If I'm locked out I'm locked out. If I cannot get into touch with them and I have complied to every help topic they put on the subject and it doesn't work then I have and it's still not working. I'm not the only one. People keep giving us links we have already tried and numbers we have already called. Including tax advocates or local IRS tax offices.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies