turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used turbotax/cd. for many years what do i need to do to use turbotax online for my 2020 taxes?

I have windows 7 on my computer
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I used turbotax/cd. for many years what do i need to do to use turbotax online for my 2020 taxes?

You can start an Online account & even upload your .tax file for 2019 to the Online version.  See the following on how you can switch from the CD software to the Online version.

How do I switch from TurboTax CD/Download to TurboTax Online?

You can transfer your tax data file (with a filename extension .tax[year], such as .tax2019) only if you're switching a prior year return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You can't transfer your current year return
  • You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2019
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions

Note: Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left column, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over.)

Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file. Once you're done, follow these instructions to return your CD/Download copy of TurboTax.

Check out our various TurboTax Online products here. You can compare and find which version is right for your tax situation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You can start an Online account & even upload your .tax file for 2019 to the Online version.  See the following on how you can switch from the CD software to the Online version.

How do I switch from TurboTax CD/Download to TurboTax Online?

You can transfer your tax data file (with a filename extension .tax[year], such as .tax2019) only if you're switching a prior year return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You can't transfer your current year return
  • You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2019
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions

Note: Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left column, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over.)

Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file. Once you're done, follow these instructions to return your CD/Download copy of TurboTax.

Check out our various TurboTax Online products here. You can compare and find which version is right for your tax situation.

If you can't  install Turbo Tax Desktop program you can transfer from your 2019 return from your computer into the online version next year.  You need to have the file ending in.tax2019 on your computer.

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year (it hasn't been updated with the new dates yet)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you used the Desktop program before you may notice several differences and not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

Lady96nn

My login has always been [removed],  my password is 

[removed]

every time I try to use your new login I get some kind of screen that asks about 'contributions' I have made and it shows me as a new member with a date of12/20/2020.

I tried 'use other method' I put in the corddect data from last year's return and thet fails slso

This is a public web site that can be seen by anyone—including scammers and would-be identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Lady96nn   What are you trying to do?

It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies