turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased a TurboTax version from Office Depot that claimed it included "State Returns," but now TurboTax wants to charge me $50.00 more. Is this fraud?

I entered my "license" number and proceeded to answer all questions. Not that my state taxes were done, Turbo Tax is threatening to delete them unless I pay an additional $50.00. I bought this software because the package claims it included "State Returns."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

I purchased a TurboTax version from Office Depot that claimed it included "State Returns," but now TurboTax wants to charge me $50.00 more. Is this fraud?

Includes state means you get one free state  software *download*.   You can print and mail as many state returns you want but e-file states is extra and always has been.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It doesn't say it will delete them.  Where do you see that?  And it is only 24.99 to efile state.  Sounds like you might be accidentally in the Online version instead of the Desktop program installed on your computer.  In the Online version State is $50.  Was there a black menu bar down the left side or a blue menu bar across the top?  And your post indicates it is from the Online Self Employed version.

Or do you have to file in more than 1 state?  You get 1 free state PROGRAM download.  But if you need a different state you have to buy it.

Oh, thanks, I really didn't know how to find my responses, but I see your (questioning) answer. Yes, it has a black bar on the left. No, it is just my home state.

Thanks.

Thanks for responding. I only have one state to deal with.

. . . and it DID threaten to delete them. I took enough time to complain, that the program "timed out." I am angry to think all my work was for naught, or that I will have to go to a hassle to get my money back!!!! All of this has already been an unwelcome hassle!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know or have a list of ALL the consumer protection bureaus, agencies and sites I can turn these creeps in to???

Thanks.

Ok hang on.  You ended up in the Online web version instead of the program you bought.  Did you install the program?

Sorry you can't apply the Desktop CD/Download program purchase to the Online version.  They are separate prices and work different.  You have to pay for online and try to get a refund for the Desktop program.  Or switch to your program.

To Continue in your Desktop program......

You need to install the program on your computer and move your online return to the Desktop program. You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

Are you ok now?  I see you have another post going.  You seem happy on that one.

Oh, thank you. I am having blood sugar issues and must leave my computer. I hope I can find this all again when I get back. Also, I am not a tech person, and hope this won't be complex.

Thanks, MDC

I don't know anything about one post and another. I simply found a bell at the top of the page with numbers, and clicked it to see if it was talking to me. Happily I found these (multiple) posts.

Thanks!

No. Not at all happy. I was promised a response to my "refund request" within 6 business days. Twice I was given this promise. Where is it????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

@lmtmmp It sounds like you messed up and used online TurboTax instead of the CD/download you paid for at a retail store--so that is where the confusion began.  Your original post is coming from online SElf-Employed---an ONLINE version of the software.  The "license" cannot be used to pay for online TurboTax software which is priced differently.  We do not know at this point if you went ahead and filed using that online program or not.  if you did not file, then you could still switch to the desktop (CD/download) and use the software you paid for:

You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

If you already filed your return, then you have essentially purchased two different products--one from a retail store and one from TurboTax.  No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue for you.  Only customer support can do that.  And the mistake was yours--not any one else's, so ask nicely for help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@lmtmmp wrote:

No. Not at all happy. I was promised a response to my "refund request" within 6 business days. Twice I was given this promise. Where is it????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Answered here, although the disputed amount is different.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-visa-dispute-bought-100-tt-promising-federal-r...

Turbotax Online is free to start and the final charge depends on the complexity of your return. The desktop software is meant to be installed on your Mac or PC from a CD or download.  It's pay up front, and then the only extra charge is for state e-filing.  The two are not the same and are not interchangeable.  If you bought the CD and also paid to file online, you can ask for a refund.  But this forum is not customer support and we can't see your account or issue a refund.   I can ask a moderator to escalate your issue, but it might be just as fast to call customer support again on Monday. 

Purchased Turbotax 2021 Jan. 16, 2022 for $69.12 on Amazon as I've done the last 10+ years.  The software said it included Fed. and one state tax.   I did two state taxes on it and I had to pay $25.25 for each one.  Per Intuit specifications I am owed one state tax ($25.25) overpayment.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies