turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

Contact us if you are still having issues - these can be tricky to resolve in the Q and A forum.  Link is below.    Error Code issues:

If you receive an error code that says, "The license code you entered is not valid. Error code: XXX", it means the code you're entering is either not valid for that product or is no longer active. Check that you're entering the code exactly as it appears on your CD insert or copy and paste it directly from your Downloads.

If you receive a error code with a message saying, “All available activations for that code have been used,” that means your code has already been used the maximum number of times, and therefore can’t be used to install the software on another computer. TurboTax can be installed on up to five computers using the same license code. 

If you receive either one of these errors, wait a few minutes and re-enter your license code:

• Sorry, we're experiencing a problem on our end. Please try again later. Error code: 620
  • There was an error with validating your license code, please try again later. Error code: 630

If you’re still having trouble with your code, Contact us .   @psagle

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

I have contacted you twice and each time they were unable to help me and I had to buy another disk. This is very stressful because now I will not shut the program down and when it has to update, I am very nervous that it will make me use another code and I don't want to buy a 3rd disk. My computer actually has a major update scheduled and I have to keep postponing because I still need to use the software. I have this on 3 computers, Home, Office and Lap Top. My home computer is the only one that is giving me problems and the one I use the most. (Since we have been stuck in our homes for over 2 months) I have used Turbotax for 30 years and this year has been very stressful with everything else going on. Turbotax has been very unreliable this year and I use it throughout the year to help people with their budgets. (Not even their actual tax return.) So do I need to buy more disks so I can use this in the future when you require me to put in another code? What about next year when I need to open my return up and it won't let me? 

@ Justsmyl  This is mainly a user community forum.   I'm a fellow user.   A few TurboTax support agents post in this forum.

I can't help you with the activation issue and don't know why you are experiencing it.   But in any case, you shouldn't have to pay for 2 CD's.   You can get a refund at least for one of the purchases using the online form below under the 60-day unconditional satisfaction guarantee.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

Also, the CD will always be Release 1 which came out in November 2019, while the download file is the most current release.   If you have to reinstall in the future, I would do it from a newly downloaded installation file, not the CD.      If you don't have a download installation file, ask Support to place one in your account.

I was replying to Dawn... the Expert.  I was told by Intuit to get a refund and then buy another disk on their website for $40 more than Amazon!  I have 2 more times to use the 2nd disk code, bought on Amazon.  

Don't bother trying to get a refund. I had this problem over 2 months ago and was told to follow the link that Justsmyl posted. I never heard from them. They have a bad product, with bad support, and lie when you ask for a refund. I'll never buy Turbotax again, and neither will anyone I know. They are dishonest and untrustworthy. Not what you need a a tax software provider.

To DawnC of Thursday May 21st, 2020::  You're joking, Yes?  This is such a patronizing response::  I've already WASTED two days of my life on this - no CHANCE I'm going to waste more time, only to have Customer Support reactivate my License Code,...only to-have the SAME PROBLEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN!  I'm ending my 20-year business relationship with Intuit!!!

Two days? I chased them far longer. But I have come to the same conclusion. They are hopeless, don't care, and will see no more of my money, ever.  A new license code that works 5 times and then dies again is not a solution, it's an insult to one's intelligence.

I got a new license code and it will let me open my last worked in return but I can’t make changes. I don’t understand their problem. Is the DISK the problem ?  Does the software downloads work properly? 

@mikelambeth wrote:

I got a new license code and it will let me open my last worked in return but I can’t make changes. I don’t understand their problem. Is the DISK the problem ?  Does the software downloads work properly? 

What OS?  Windows or Mac?   And are you using Windows 7 by any chance?  A recent update has caused some problems on Windows 7.

"Is the disk the problem?"

It shouldn't be at this point, if you have gone through several updates previously and successfully.   However, if one had to reinstall, be aware that the CD is always Release 1.   While any current download from one's Online account should be the latest release.   If you had to reinstall, I'd ask Customer Support to furnish the download file if it's not in your account so you'd have a much later version.

Also, if you're using Windows, try a repair to see if that makes any difference.  It's easy to try.

FAQ:  How to repair TurboTax in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/how-to-repair-turbotax-in-microsoft-w...

@mikelambeth 

Also, is the *.tax2019 data file you're working on your internal drive (hopefully) and not on an external drive? The data file should be on your internal drive. The default location in Windows is the \Documents\TurboTax folder.

We've seen folks end up with problems when they use TurboTax to actively work on a data file that is housed on a thumb drive or other external drive.

Thanks again. I did a windows 7 o windows 10 upgrade too then i opened the turbo 2019 and it opened but wouldn’t let me make changes; thankfully i had finished my REAL tax return and had submitted it   When I tried to open it again it said i had exceeded my sign on attempts. A support person told me to uninstall the turbo tax program and reinstall per a new code she gave me. I was apprehensive about trying that thinking I might lose my completed tax return which would make me “cry”. Any thoughts on the uninstall reinstall idea?

I have Windows10 and a download. The problem persists through re-downloading, and  CS failed attempts at fixing. Start the program, it asks for the activation code, then it works. Close the program, then restart it, asks for activation code again. After 5 cycles it says your activation code is no good. CS best offer is give another code that will work 5 times and die.

Hopeless

The repair link has nothing that fixes the problem I have.

As for file location, why should it matter where the data file is as long as you enter the correct location and that location is accessible on your system?

My turbo tax is internal drive.  Worked great for 10 years. Now this .....

@ocostich1 wrote:

The repair link has nothing that fixes the problem I have.

As for file location, why should it matter where the data file is as long as you enter the correct location and that location is accessible on your system?

Some people who actively read and write to a data file on a thumb drive while working in TurboTax have reported problems before.   Many more people may not have a problem with it, but those folks with no problems are not going to post in a forum like this.     If something works for you, then you are free to go for it.  If something doesn't apply to you, then just ignore it.    There are many users in this forum and all sorts of possible system configurations, so there is no one size fits all, which is what makes troubleshooting these kinds of problems difficult on a user bulletin board like this.   More important than the data file location, however, is to not install the actual program on a removable flash or thumb drive.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies