Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got an email saying someone accessed my account, and if i made the update there is nothing more i can do, but if it wasn’t me i need to contact turbo tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I got an email saying someone accessed my account, and if i made the update there is nothing more i can do, but if it wasn’t me i need to contact turbo tax.

TurboTax will send emails to customers when certain types of account activity is detected (example: changed filing status, new dependents, multiple accounts.).  This is a security measure to protect your personal information. Review the information in the answer below.  If you still have concerns the answer provides a link to contact support for more assistance.

TurboTax is committed to protecting your personal information. If we detect that certain types of your information are being used in more than one account, we’ll notify you to make sure that you recognize the activity.

We recommend using the same account each year so your information can be automatically transferred to your new return, saving you the time and hassle of data entry.

Here are some of the reasons you may have received this email:

• You have used TurboTax in the past and are using a different account this year. This can include moving from our Desktop product to our Online product.
  • You changed your filing status from last year, and for that reason, are filing with a different TurboTax account this year.
  • You have created multiple TurboTax accounts this year, or in prior years.
  • You file as Married Filing Separate, with you and your spouse having different TurboTax accounts.
  • You have filed for dependents, or another family member, in the past and the email is referring to their personal information.

If you have not taken any of the actions noted above, it may indicate that someone is trying to use your information to file a tax return. Please Contact Us and one of our agents can assist you.

Learn more about how TurboTax safeguards your data.

Timrdun

I haven't changed anything and I would like to know who accessed my account and for what purpose.

Kimwoosley1970
Returning Member

What should I do when I can't talk to a live adviser?? 

Suehum

I recieved an email last night (4/15)at 1020 pm stating there was activity on my account. I have not been into my account since my taxes were filed with one exception and that was a week or more back to ck my credit score..

Please advise if I need to change my password ...or what this may have been about...

I got multiple emails from Intuit telling me that my account was accessed, and if I wasn't the one who accessed the account, I should call Intuit immediately.  I don't exactly know what it means to say that my account was accessed.  I did return to the account after closing my conversation with the person who helped me get through the problem I was having with paying for the various expenses of getting the federal and state forms e-filed, because I hadn't stopped to save and print the files before closing the conversation with the very helpful CPA who worked with me.  I had some difficulty getting back into the account, but finally triumphed before suicide was necessary.  If that counts as "accessing the account", then it was I.  If not, then someone else was responsible.  What happens next?

In an earlier message with someone from TurboTax, the person asked me if I had changed accounts.  I explained that I had previously used a CD purchased at a Staples store every year.  This year, however, because of a lengthy bout with the coronavirus, I was forced at the very last minute to use an online version of the program.  Because the online version was immediately able to access my information from last year's filing, I assumed that it didn't make any difference; but your staff seemed to find me out immediately.  After I explained this to the person I spoke with, I assumed that everything had been resolved about that, but perhaps she never recorded what I had said.  Or perhaps  it had to do with my return to the account as explained above.  Or perhaps something more nefarious.  Please explain.  Or where can I speak to a real person for more specific information???

Lstummolo

I do not remember updating me tax file.  I have however received a message on "wheres my refund" that IRS re did my taxes and I will not be getting a 132 dollar refund, but I owe $468 dollars.  This is very upsetting to be how can this be.

Lstummolo

who accessed my acct

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

We do not have information about your account on this public forum. Please Contact Us and one of our agents can assist you if you have not recently accessed your TurboTax account and received an email.

Learn more about how TurboTax safeguards your data.

@Lstummolo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

• Why cant I  speak to a representative? 
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You may want to use the link below and reach out to TurboTax directly for assistance

TurboTax Customer Service

I don’t understand what that means

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you log in using a different device than you used the last time you signed in to your TurboTax account, this can trigger an email from TurboTax.  If you are concerned, you can verify your account activity by following the steps the below TurboTax help article.

How can I check the activity in my TurboTax account?

@Paultennessee

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies