Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't enter my w-2 data manually

Why TT do not allow me to enter my w2 data manually?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

TurboTax does allow you to enter Form W-2 manually. To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, Federal, scroll down to Wages and Salaries and select Start.
  • Enter the Employer ID number. This is on the W-2 in Box b. (If you are having trouble finding it, click the How do I find my Employer Identification Number? help link) and Continue
  • Select the second tile, Type it in myself and Continue through the interview

How do I import or enter my W-2?

View solution in original post

13 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

TurboTax does allow you to enter Form W-2 manually. To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, Federal, scroll down to Wages and Salaries and select Start.
  • Enter the Employer ID number. This is on the W-2 in Box b. (If you are having trouble finding it, click the How do I find my Employer Identification Number? help link) and Continue
  • Select the second tile, Type it in myself and Continue through the interview

How do I import or enter my W-2?

When I enter the EIN I get message "Maintenance Notification from Intuit Online Payroll IHP. W2 Import for this employer is unavailable in this product at this time. Try back on February 18..." the system will not allow me to enter a manual W2.

Don't enter the EIN.  It's just as fast and easy to manually enter a W2.  And the import might come in wrong.  You could have manually entered it in the time it took trying to import it and posting this question.

To add a  W2 just type w2 (small W)  in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To the W2

OR  To Add a W2 enter it under

Federal Taxes on the left side

Wages & Income  

Then Wages and Salaries- Click the Start or Update button

Then if you are married you should have 2 buttons...Add w-2 for (taxpayer name) and Add w-2 for (spouse name). Click on the correct button to add a W-2.

When I enter the EIN I get a Maintenance Notification from Intuit Online Payroll-IHP that says W-2 Import is unavailable. I tried it on the mobile app and it imported fine. I'm using a MAC with OS 12.1

@nedreberg 

As @VolvoGirl  noted...on the initial screen that asks for an EIN...DOn't put anything in that box, go to the lower-rt corner and continue thru the next screens.....Type it in Yourself.

When you get to one of the full form entry pages, you can enter the EIN on the actual form

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

That's what I eventually figured out and did.

rgolly

The screen should say that, I've been trying to get past that prompt for 15 minutes to manually enter.  Really frustrating if all I needed to do was not enter the EIN#...

jtibbs

Agreed. The TurboTax software is pretty good in my experience but the issue where the W-2 can't be imported manually is a kludge, could be handled much better. 

tdimsdale
Returning Member

It will not let me enter any info after I enter the Employer ID. Any advice?

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you are using the TurboTax Mobile App, try logging in from the browser on your phone with the same sign in information.

If you are using TurboTax online on a laptop with a touchscreen, try entering from the keyboard.

If you are using TurboTax online from a computer, the most likely reason for buttons that don't work or not being able to enter information is that something in the web browser is not displaying the page properly.  The easiest way around this is to simply use a different web browser.  You can select from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and more.   If you need to install another browser, be sure to go to the trusted home site for the software, for security reasons. Or you can clear the cache and cookies in your current browser.  Click this link for a TurboTax Help Article Clear cache and cookies

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jag99

I can't enter W-2 forms manually.  When I click Wages and Income, then "Update," no buttons comes up to Add a W-2.  Same things happen when I try to add my W-2G forms.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

To enter a W2 manually go to the Income and Expenses screen of the Federal section and follow these steps:

1.  Click on either Review or Start depending on what program you are using. 
  2. Click on Add a Return
  3. The next screen says Let's start with some info from this W-2 and click Continue.
  4. Select Type it in Myself and click Continue.
  5. On the next screen start typing in the information from your W-2.   and then click Continue.
  6. On the next screen continue to fill in each box from the W-2 and click on Continue.

If you do not get the screens as stated above, try:

1. Clearing your cookies;
  2. Closing out of TurboTax; and
  3. Restarting your computer.

If that does not work, and you are using TurboTax desktop you might want to uninstall and re-install the TurboTax program.

ksturton1

I deleted the W2 and started over and I was able to enter the information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies