turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am getting error: "1040/1040SR Wks: Line 11 is too large"... The field is showing 0. How do I fix this?

I have tried going all the way back through the return and get the error every time I try to file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

I am getting error: "1040/1040SR Wks: Line 11 is too large"... The field is showing 0. How do I fix this?

Remove the 0 and leave the field blank to see if that removes the error. You also may need to clear your cookies and cache. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account and try entering the information again. 

If you still continue to have the same problem, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had already tried removing the 0. I figured out what it was though. For some reason when you delete something under the self employed section of income, it leaves an incomplete form and just starts a duplicate when you go back to redo it. I had to manually go through the forms section and delete all of the 1099NEC and the section c duplicates. It’s the first time I have ever had to do that on Turbo Tax. Usually if I delete something in the walkthrough it deletes the forms. I got it submitted though. Thanks.

hammock5

I deleted the "0." text in the box and was able to fix it

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, this can resolve the error. If the Review still generates an error try these steps:

First, revisit the section for the Self-employment tax deferral entry:

1. Return to the Deductions & Credits section
  2. Scroll to Tax relief related to COVID-19 and Show More
  3. Select Self-employment tax deferral and select Revisit
  4. Answer Yes at the next screen to get back to Let's start by getting your eligible income.
    1. If you do not want to defer any self-employment income, "Enter your eligible self-employment income" should be blank.
      1. Select Continue.
    2. At Tell us how much you'd like to defer, "Enter amount" should be blank.
      1. Select Continue
  5. Scroll down and select Wrap up Tax Breaks and Continue.
  6. At Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, if you made cash donations to eligible organizations, enter the amount up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150 and ContinueOtherwise, leave this section blank, do not add 0 if this is not applicable.
  7. I recommend running through the Federal Review again.

Second, if the error is still in the return,

1. Delete the Sch SE that applies--(Sch SE-T is for Taxpayer, Sch SE-S for Spouse)--by following these steps:
    1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools
    2. Select Tools
    3. Scroll to Delete a Form
    4. Scroll to Sch SE-T and/or Sch SE-S and select Delete
  2. Return to the self-employment income & expenses interview in the Income & Expenses section and select Edit/Add
    1. Select Edit for your business
    2. Scroll down to Done so that the Sch SE is recalculated 
    3. Finish any other questions in the self-employment interview and click Continue.
  3. Review the return again

[Edited 02/20/2021 | 5:10 AM PST]

@hammock5

@jharvey3177

Thanks KathrynG3 but I think I would just use different tax software than go through all that. What I want to know is if TurboTax is aware of it, why are people still having the issue today?

There is no "SHOW MORE" to select in the COVID-19 section. I never visited anything to do with self-employment. This error will not stop. Not with no value, 0 value, or anything else. There is no left menu for "tax tools." If I search for "tax tools" in the Turbo Tax menu I get nothing. If I search for "tax tools" in the app menu I get nothing. I search for "How to delete a form" and am told to do it for a summary screen for that form. I finally find the tax worksheet form in question and have NO idea what I'm supposed to do there. Isn't this software supposed to figure that out for me?

what does this mean? I don't understand this error.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The former instructions were for TurboTax Online. 

If you are getting this error and do not have self-employment, then it may be from the Charitable Contributions from the Cares Act.

The key is the sequencing of the entry in posting cash donations made and having TurboTax recalculate your tax breaks. Anything listed in the Cares Act section before first entering it as a donation will produce unexpected results.

To fix this in TurboTax CD/Download, go to Deductions & Credits and select I'll choose what I work on.

• First, enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would in the Charitable Donations section of Deductions & Credits.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of the Deductions & Credits page and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions, but will eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • At Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, you should see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. Select Continue

For more information about donations from the IRS, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions

To review deleting in TurboTax CD/Download:

• Go to Forms Mode to delete forms. 
  • Find the form you do not want in the Forms in My Return list or do a search by double clicking on Open Form and enter the form name.
  • Select the Delete Form button in the lower left area of the window displaying the form.

@RealTurkey

If you do have self-employment, there would be different steps. Please clarify if you are using TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download.

@jankeyjean

sr222
Returning Member

how can you tell which forms are incomplete? or do you have to delete them all and start over? thanks! same issue only i'm getting a "-4" in a field and i can't file. thanks!

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

If you have negative number in line 16 of Schedule 1 (Form 1040), then read below. 

The first step I suggest you do is "unlink" your 1095-A from Schedule C, and then link it again. To do that, uncheck the box shown on the screenshot below. 

If that doesn't work, there is a workaround available for TurboTax Desktop version for this. Follow these steps:

1) Go to Forms Mode

2) Find 1040/1040SR Wks

3) Scroll down to the section with the negative number on line 16. 

4) Just above it you will see a box for Self-Employed Health Insurance Premiums Tax Credit Smart Worksheet. 

5) Remove amount from box B. 

For TurboTax Online, you have two options:

1) File an extension and wait for the fix. 

2) Do not claim the health insurance adjustment to income for self-employed. You can do that by unchecking the box for the question in the 1095-A interview about whether you were self-employed. See the screenshot. You can file an amendment after the fix comes through (TBD).

Here are instructions on how to amend your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This message is for TT 2021 CD/ Download and my solution.

Background: Married filing jointly, one currently employed , the other retired.

I experienced a similar error in final stages of filing.

Error:”Check this entry

1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value”. In my case 300.

Our solution:

Go to forms. Choose 1040/1040SR Wks form.

scroll to line 12 Standard or Itemized Deduction.

rhe problem lies ( in our case ) was the entries on 12a and 12b.

TT determined the standard deduction was appropriate for us and entered 300 on line 12b.

reading the instructions to to left, there is a determination for married filing jointly.
I changed the amount in the form to 600 as instructed and returned to easy step and all proceeded normally to filing.

YMMV. Good luck, I hope this helps others.

This was super helpful Polymicroboy!!!

We used the "forms" section and put in $600 because we are filing jointly. Thanks a bunch! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies