KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The former instructions were for TurboTax Online. 

If you are getting this error and do not have self-employment, then it may be from the Charitable Contributions from the Cares Act.

The key is the sequencing of the entry in posting cash donations made and having TurboTax recalculate your tax breaks. Anything listed in the Cares Act section before first entering it as a donation will produce unexpected results.

To fix this in TurboTax CD/Download, go to Deductions & Credits and select I'll choose what I work on.

• First, enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would in the Charitable Donations section of Deductions & Credits.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of the Deductions & Credits page and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions, but will eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • At Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, you should see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. Select Continue

For more information about donations from the IRS, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions

To review deleting in TurboTax CD/Download:

• Go to Forms Mode to delete forms. 
  • Find the form you do not want in the Forms in My Return list or do a search by double clicking on Open Form and enter the form name.
  • Select the Delete Form button in the lower left area of the window displaying the form.

@RealTurkey

If you do have self-employment, there would be different steps. Please clarify if you are using TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download.

@jankeyjean