Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How is the 5 efile limit counted? is it 5 per turbotax account used during the efile?

it used to be 5 email addresses.  I have 6 kids and would use 2 desktop installs with 3 kids on each.   That worked up until this year when they force you login for everything.   Now they track it all and you get 5...total...Its a cash grab from TT.  They say its IRS requirement  - which is 100% false I am not a paid preparer I am a dude with 6 kids....

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How is the 5 efile limit counted? is it 5 per turbotax account used during the efile?

It is an IRS requirement for software providers. See requirement number 5 on page 31 of this IRS Publication: IRS Pub 1345. The IRS requires that software developers ensure there is no more than 5 electronic files from one software package or from one email address.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry that is 100% FUD.

IRS requirements are 5 per Email address.  Prior to Intuit forcing cloud auth you could enter a different email address for each filing.   Now its tied to the Inuit ID.  More Intuit spying and inconveniencing users.

Guess TT didn't read the OR statement.  For 20 years I have done 7 e-files with one paid HAB ($100 now).  tax Act does not have this limitation my friend with 7 kids pays $40 and does 8 e-files.   TT just interpreting IRS rules in a way to generate more revenue. 

since turbo tax (and other competitive software's) are supposed to be used for home use and not professionally, the IRS assumes that if there are more than 5 e-files there is a higher risk of fraud as well as a better chance it is being used professionally

ktanzeem

It counts by Intuit user id. In short register another user/email id with  TurboTax account and install it on another computer if you have one. If you install on same computer it will not ask for new license key you will be blocked again. 

I had similar issue where after filing my 2nd return TurboTax incorrectly started to show that I had filed more than 5 returns. After staying on the call with TurboTax support and uninstalling old copy and reinstalling a new copy on same computer I was blocked again to e-file again. New licensed copy never asked me to enter the license key. There is no option in software to change to new key. At that time TurboTax support agent disconnected my call and never called back. I guess he was out of option but I tried on another computer and I was able to e-file.  

ktanzeem

Use a different computer if using desktop software. Use a different Intuit ID. 

My wife and I have 6 adult children and we are trying to assist them in efiling their taxes.  I realize there is a five efile return limit, so my wife and I purchased two separate TurboTax software products, installed them on two different computers, used two separate Turbotax accounts with two separate e-mail addresses.  Given that we are two separate individuals and by dividing our children's returns between the both of us, I would have thought we could do five returns each.  However, as soon as I got to my third return (and after she had done three returns using separate purchased software, separate computers, separate email, and separate Intuit account), I was still told by the software that I could not efile the third return for our children.  Why are we being treated as one individual?  What mechanism is being used to inappropriately identify as just one individual?  Any thoughts out there?

The IRS does not reveal exactly how they "know" ---but the five federal e-files is an IRS limit--not a TurboTax limit.  So if you have more than five returns---pick whose return is getting mailed.  Rock/paper/scissors; flip a coin; draw straws.....Buying two copies of the software wasted money and will not allow you to file more than five.  Sorry,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for posting your experience.  It confirms what we've been telling people.   I think one reason is your are using the same  IP address.

@xmasbaby0 ok, understood that the 5 is an IRS limit but is that enforced on IRS side or on TT side? I assume it is on TT because I just ran into an issue with hitting the limit even though there were only 4 successful e-files and 1 failed e-file which I assume did not count. TT seems to be clueless how it happened. 

Renee K

If it only allows 5 e files, why does it have 5 licenses? If you can only efile 5 times, but prepare as many as you want on paper what is the reason to have additional licenses?

Renee K

Exactly! I help 5 siblings, my parents, and 3 nephews all for free. Why are we provided with 5 licenses if they cant be used to efile?

You do not have five licenses.  You have ONE license that allows you to e-file up to the IRS limit of five federal e-files.   Additional returns can be prepared using that software but they must be filed by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And one License can be installed on 5 computers you own.  But that won't get you more efiles.  And buying another License  or program won't get you more efiles either.

maglib
Level 11

@tiggersb314 

There is a new limit of 5 e-files per license, not just per laptop.

You need another TT account to hold a new license.  Or you can always file by mail.

You would need another license installed on a computer that has never had the old license on it (I tried to delete and remove an old license and downloaded a new one and it still erred).  Possibly a full removal of old license would work but, I did not try it.

Take the file you have been working on sign into the new license, under HELP  on the top of your screen choose Switch product.  Here is where you assign the new license and it signs you out.  Then call up that return and save it with the new license assigned,

Then you need a thumb drive.  You need to copy and paste using file manager the .tax file to a thumb drive.

Then copy from that thumb drive to the new laptop with the new TT install on it.

Call it up, you now have a new license and using the new account, you should be able to e-file.

Yes, you will have to pay for another license or choose file by mail instead.

Sorry I am just the bearer of the news.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies