turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i switch from free file to the paid version of TurboTax. it is saying I no longer qualify and is not letting me procced after inputting most of my information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

95 Replies

How do i switch from free file to the paid version of TurboTax. it is saying I no longer qualify and is not letting me procced after inputting most of my information.

Click on Upgrade on the left side of the online program screen.

Or are you using the Turbo Tax Free File website?
Corey1

I am also trying to switch out of the freefile mode, but it keeps sending me back.  Do I have to make an entirely new account?

Yes you do. See the steps on this FAQ
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894512-how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-online">https://...>
tarynmy1

So Turbo Tax cannot make a delete return option for us Return Turbo Tax users, just clear form and start over that is useless and the support people on the phone that say just hit the crtl and return button and that will bring you to the option menu to upgrade... bluh, bluh... for over an hour until I hung up... You try log in after you clear all forms and delete the forms, go to the paid link above and use your user name and password and it brings you right back to the shittin’ free file page that you are trying to get away from or upgrade from. I entered the return over 30 times now and am beyond sick of it. Now I’m told make a new account and have 2 different accounts with 2 different user name and passwords........How about create a delete return option so when we switch to the other Turbo Tax our user name and password work and previous years taxes link like they should, or put a link to the paid version and let us move on.

If you are in the Free File website there are no upgrades.  You have to start over in regular Turbo Tax here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572617-what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-program-and-free-e...

Unbelievable - and this should be stated much more clearly because while there is a disclaimer in rather small print it doesn't actually say that you won't be able to upgrade later if you need to...which in this day and age you should be able to do.  I thought this would be an option as I moved forward-lots of time down the drain.  I guess I'll start making screenshots....

If you are in Turbo Tax Free Edition you can upgrade.  In prior years you might have been able to upgrade from the Tax Freedom website but this year the IRS has made it so you absolutely can not upgrade.

I was able to file for completely free on H&R Block, for the same thing that TurboTax was going to charge me $90 for. I recommend checking them or another free program that’s on the irs website.

Sorry to vent on you, Turbotax... I should have known it was the government to make such a dumb rule (don't get me started!).  You could clarify the situation better in the software, however.

Tried all the solutions listed but the site still keeps kicking me back to the IRS Free File Edition. Nothing works to start over, going to the provided link still switches me over to IRS Free File no matter what I did or what solutions listed in here that I tried. Just went with H&R Block since they're not going to charge me anything or put me thru this BS to access my profile. The layout sucks, the fact that the site keeps pushing over to the IRS version shows they have no care for their online service, and are probably just going to let the problem slide. Did my taxes with them over 4 years and have seen how they're degrading in quality. Oh well, time to change services!

Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

I clicked the deluxe version and it gave me the choice to choose between the free IRS version and the deluxe version.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

The FAQ below will provide you with the steps to successfully upgrade your version of Turbo Tax:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/how-do-i-upgrade-or-switch-to-a-higher-version-of-t...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
azderson

How do I submit a feature request to the development team? The ability to transfer information from free to paid would make it a lot easier for people to give you money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies