turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I set up auto save? I just lost all my information. Is there a setting whereby my input is automatically saved after every couple of minutes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies

How do I set up auto save? I just lost all my information. Is there a setting whereby my input is automatically saved after every couple of minutes?

If you are using TurboTax Online, the software saves it automatically for you as you enter information. 

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download software, then you have to manually save it as you enter information. 

• On Windows version, click File in top left corner of software window and then Save As to save the initial file with a specified name you'll remember. And then as you enter information, go back to File and Save to keep saving the information being entered. 
  • On Mac version, with software open as active window, click File in top left near the black apple and TurboTax in far left corner of the computer screen and then click Save. Name file as something you can remember and save to desktop or another place you can easily access when needed. 
Other Helpful Topics:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe we are in the 21st century and there is not auto save in the desktop version.

Sorry,  but that is a fact.  If you are using desktop software you have to save it yourself.  It does not autosave.  Before you stop working on your return you need to always go to File and SAVE it.  Or even save from time to time as you work.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Also, after each work session I save another copy of the *.taxYYYY data file on external media such as a flash drive.   For instance, last fall there was an infamous Windows update that caused data loss of items in some users' documents folder, etc. for various software programs.  And hard drives can also fail.

TurboTax for Windows "should" prompt you and ask if you want to save the file if you try to close it using the top right X.   But a few users have reported that it didn't.    I don't know if that prompt exists in the Mac program or not.

I use a Mac, and if I start to close out of TT, Mac prompts me to save.  I have not used Windows in years but some others say it does not prompt them to save, and it does not autosave.  So guess the moral of the story is if you are using desktop, remember to SAVE.  Do not leave it to chance, and do not trust it to save automatically.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Here's a link that might be helpful 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-back-up-my-tax-file-in-the-turbotax-cd...

I believe that the Mac program automatically saves the .tax file or should.   And people have asked how to not save it on Mac in case they messed up.

In the Windows Desktop program you have to manually save the .tax file and it should ask if you want to save when you exit or start a new return.

I have the mac version of 2019 deluxe, it will NOT autosave, in fact it will NOT save!  I have to rename it as a new file everytime to save.  It keeps telling me my file is locked.  I followed the directions (to go to the file, click get info) when I do this it says my file is UNLOCKED, I even locked and re-unlocked it . . nothing!  My files still will not save,  Everytime I want to save, I have to rename it a new name (and the original one disappears by the way). I will never buy turbo tax for apple again, i've used it for years on a pc with no issues! is there a reason why it keeps showing as LOCKED when i UNlocked the file??

@tallyally   I'm going to see if I can get someone familiar with Mac to assist you.

@macuser_22    I know you're having a busy "Mac tech" day, but when you are in the forum, are you able to assist this user with their issue?   Thanks!

Auto save in a Mac is a Macs system feature, not a TurboTax feature.   Check to see if it is turned off in system preferences.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/22/turn-off-auto-save-os-x/

File locking is also a Max System feature.  TurboTax cannot lock a file.

Locking a file Apple article.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/lock-a-document-on-mac-mchlp1342/mac

The problem that you describe would seem to be a local issue on your Mac. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
almarks

I am having the same issue today! Previously it has been fine with no issues!?!?

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried any of the tips posted by @macuser_22? If you prefer to speak with an agent concerning this, please click here to get in contact with customer care.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have been using desktop Windows Turbotax for years.  Probably 25 years.  It has always prompted me to save my file if I use the X in the upper right to close the program.  

Only in the past couple of years has that stopped.  So it is a hard habit to break.  I have to make sure I use the file and save before I shut down the program.  Even after I have done that, I will get a prompt to save my file when I close.  But every once in a while, it will not give a prompt and if I forget to save before I close, then I lose my data!  So I would say this is a new problem in the past couple of years and you now should save the file yourself BEFORE closing.  I am having to learn the hard way to do this a different way than in many years past. 

So i just had TT on win10 freeze up. Attempting to hit X just failed.  I verified the temp file was there next to my normal file, and i hit end task.

When I re-opened, it said "Recovering your return".  It took a minute, but it took me right back to where i was, minus the very last thing I did. 

So yeah, I can confirm if you have to end task, it has a temp file that it will pull your interim changes from and restore you back to where you were.  

That's not the same thing as "auto-save".  Auto save would apply all your changes to the file, which imho is not necessarily what you want.  I prefer to save when I am ready to confirm the changes I have made are correct.

Storing your changes in a temp file between saves allows you to recover them, or optionally to delete it and restore yourself back to your prior saved state.

hope that helps!

I can't get my turbo tax to save with my name. And I can't get it to rename or save to a different place. I'm afraid to close down for fear of losing everything I've put in. What do I do??? This has never happened before.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies