It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case you lose the original or it gets corrupted. Here's how:
- In TurboTax, open the tax return you wish to back up.
- From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
- Browse to where you want to save your backup.
- In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original (for example, incorporate "Backup" or "Copy" in the file name).
- Click Save and then close TurboTax.
- Now reopen TurboTax and open the backup you just made. It should open without incident; if you get an error or it won't open, delete it and repeat these steps to make a new backup.
- Finally, whenever you make changes to the original, repeat these steps to ensure that both files are synchronized.