Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

eeebee2
Returning Member

How do I report TurboTax Software Errors?

Desktop, windows 10,  used cd, was updated today when I installed it.

davidngo06
Returning Member

On November 19, 2021, The IRS sent me a letter wanting to audit my 2019 tax -- disallowing the claim of MINIMUM TAX CREDIT (MTC) carryover from 2018 on Form 8801.  They want to verify the eligibility of the MTC.

I trace the MTC carryovers all the way back to Tax year 2010.  
The tax year 2009 has zero MTC carryforward to 2010 on its form 8801.
All of the sudden out of nowhere, the tax year 2010 has $70,950 carryover transferred from tax year 2009 on form 8801.

I believe this is a TurboTax software error.

As a result of the audit of my 2019, the IRS demands me to pay the tax due + penalty + interest.  Furthermore, I anticipate paying back also to the state tax authority because of this error (currently I have not been contacted by the state tax authority yet).  
I have to reply and resolve this issue with the IRS very soon.  

I wish to inform TurboTax of this error and ask for a resolution of this matter.
I am willing to send you the tax data that I have for your review.
and please tell me what you need.  I expect TurboTax to repay me back for the damages I suffer due to the error. 

Please let me know soon. 

David N.
Ph: [phone number removed]
email: [email address removed]
P.S. I am a loyal customer of TurboTax.  I have been using TurboTax to prepare my tax over the years!

@davidngo06 You need to contact an agent at the TurboTax Audit Support Center to assist you with this issue.

Go to this TurboTax website for the Audit Support Center - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

I'm using Turbo Tax Basic for 2021.  It will not post the allowable $600 cash deduction for joint return taking standard deduction.  

@Denny007 wrote:

I'm using Turbo Tax Basic for 2021.  It will not post the allowable $600 cash deduction for joint return taking standard deduction.  

The TurboTax software for tax year 2021 has not yet been updated for the $600 charitable contribution amount when using the Standard Deduction and filing as Married Filing Separately.  There will be many updates to the software before the 2021 tax return can be filed sometime in late January.

The 2021 version of TT Self-Employed software reports $14,250 as the federal Standard Deduction for a single filer when, in fact, the correct Standard Deduction for a single filer is $12 550 for 2021 T/Y. Please investigate and correct this ASAP, as this creates tax underpayments for TT users? Thanks. 

@juliefromlincoln 

Were you 65 or older at the end of 2021?

2021 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $12,550  (65 or older + $1700)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $12,550  (65 or older + $1350)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $25,100  (65 or older + $1350 per spouse)

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $18,800  (65 or older +$1700)

Legally Blind + $1350

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am having a problem with TurboTax Basic 2021 200% depreciation for a 5 year asset.  

TurboTax estimates $3,416 expenses for $17,082 of appliances installed and started using Sep 1, 2021.  I expected the amount to be $1,992 (3.5 months at $569).   FYI, $3,416 is the amount for 12 month depreciation using 5 years of straight line on $17,082.  If this is a bug, please acknowledge and provide an estimated fix time.  If this is not a bug, please provide directions how to enter double declining basis for a mid year installation.

Thanks, xmasbaby, for the clarification. I only focused on the Standard Deduction amount not realizing there was an additional adjustment due to age. So, appreciate your post! 

currently, depreciation is computed per IRC sec 168 using one of these MACRS methods:

• The 200% declining balance method over a GDS recovery period. however, there is a convention that must be applied see below
• The 150% declining balance method over a GDS recovery period.
• The straight line method over a GDS recovery period.
• The straight line method over an ADS recovery period

Turbo-tax is correct. with MACRS depreciation unless 40% or more of property, excluding real estate, is placed in service during the last quarter of the tax year the half-year convention applies.  this means for 5-year assets the first year would be 20% (1/2 of 40%) for 5 year property unless you choose one of the other methods

then under MACRS 200 % DB method

year 2 - 32%

year 3 - 19.2%

year 4 and 5- 11.52%

year 6  5.76%

for more information see IRS pub 946

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf 

oldgray
Returning Member

I have been using the TurboTax  1041 for over 12 years.  Here is the problem.  On the 1099B I have reported Total dividends greater than Qualified dividends.  When the 1041 processed the information it reported the total dividends less than the Qualified dividends  on the K-1 worksheet.  The qualified value was correct as reported on the 1099B form.  The total dividends was less by about $2800.  The only way to continue the processing was to override the incorrect value with the value as reported on the 1099B for year  2021.  With the override in there the processing going forward appears to be correct.  This has neve happened to me before as I have been using TurboTax Business for my wife's residual trust for the last 12 years. Does anyone have a fix for this?

plipton

oldgray
Returning Member

In my TurboTax Business return for 2021 the raw data on 1099 Dividends shows Total dividends greater the Qualified dividends,  When the program processes  the data and loads it into the K 1 work sheet the Qualified value is greater the the total value on line 2a.  The only way to get passed this is to override the figure placed there by the 1041 processing.   

plipton id oldgray

[email address removed]

hpoulter

When using the withholdings calculator if you move the slider up and down the expected return increases exponentially. I have a screen recording if you need it. 

bayw00d1
Returning Member

2021, TT Deluxe, CD, Schedule A Medical Expenses Worksheet, line 9b uses the incorrect cents per mile. It should be 16 cents for 2021 and not 17 cents as currently is.

LIBRANY21
Returning Member

There is a bug in Turbo Tax Business 2021 in preparing W2 (cd windows)

When you go to put FID# it skips spaces. Also, in the telephone number and zip code it is automatically toggling

between the two.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies