turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

How do I report TurboTax Software Errors?

@EJV624

Thank you for sharing your experience.  TurboTax prior year returns cannot be e-filed to be Amended.  The completed filing must be mailed in.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@HeatherPLO @VolvoGirl @DanielV01@EJV624

There is conflicting information from you as to whether it should be possible to efile amended tax returns (that were originally efiled with turbotax) with turbotax.  Can you confirm whether there is a bug in TurboTax that is preventing 2019 and 2020 amended tax returns from being eFiled  with TurboTax (and if so any idea as to when it will be fixed)  or whether eFiling amended  prior year (2019 and 2020) Tax returns  is officially not supported by TurboTax and we should give up on the effort?

As you can see from his/her post EJV62 has experienced the same problem with TurboTax when attempting to eFile and amended 2020 return now.

Thank you.

John2310

I downloaded the software from a CD.   It is already activated and I started my return.   When I got to the income section, the input page for W2 information was blank.   I have reinstalled the software several times and the problem is still there.     I thought about downloading to another computer but one does not have a CD drive.   I could not download the software from the web site since the account was activated.

I worked past this problem where after entering income from 1099-MISC forms, TT's summary of income compared my 60 k 2020 income to $0 in 2021.  By starting over with a new return to correct any anomaly in my input and pressing on past the point TT said I had no income from 1099-MISC, I found my income in a new category at the bottom of the summary only after fully completing income section.  The 1099-MISC amounts were moved in 2021 to a new category at the bottom of the summary called "Rental properties and Royalties" which is a reasonable classification, except that TT still compares the dollar values for that category in the previous year to zero in the current.  I suppose it is a one year error, not worth them fixing.

I worked past this problem where after entering income from 1099-MISC forms, TT's summary of income compared my 60 k 2020 income to $0 in 2021.  By starting over with a new return to correct any anomaly in my input and pressing on past the point TT said I had no income from 1099-MISC, I found my income in a new category at the bottom of the summary only after fully completing income section.  The 1099-MISC amounts were moved in 2021 to a new category at the bottom of the summary called "Rental properties and Royalties" which is a reasonable classification, except that TT still compares the dollar values for that category in the previous year to zero in the current.  I suppose it is a one year error, not worth them fixing.

In the form for entering SSA 1099 numbers the box for Medicare Part D does not work. I cannot type a number into it.

@sleepyraptor wrote:

In the form for entering SSA 1099 numbers the box for Medicare Part D does not work. I cannot type a number into it.

Are you using the TurboTax online editions or the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions?

In my test tax return for both online and desktop there is no problem in entering a number in the box for Medicare Part D.

If you are using the online editions - Close the TurboTax window on your web browser.  Clear cache on your browser - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135

Go back to your TurboTax online return and see if the problem is still there - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

If you are using the desktop editions - check to see if you are at the latest release.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

My software seems to be hung up, looping in the Wages and Income section after I entered my 1099-B information. Can't get it to move to the next section.

@Corvette Man wrote:

My software seems to be hung up, looping in the Wages and Income section after I entered my 1099-B information. Can't get it to move to the next section.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for this bug and sign up to be notified when fixed - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/income/help/why-am-i-stuck-in-a-loop-in-the-investment-income-sect...

Thanks for responding. I am using the premier version downloaded from Amazon. I checked for updates and it is up to date. I can't imagine how a bug like that could be there.

When running the Smart Check, I consistently get an error message: "1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value." and shows a value of $300 in the Charitable contributions data cell . When I go to the Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR Worksheet, and scroll down to Line 12 - Standard or Itemized Deduction,  data cell 12a  has automatically entered my itemized deduction; where asks to: "Enter the small of these cash contribution made or $300 (or $600 if married filing joint) on line 12b below if you take the standard deduction " it has auto entered the cash contributions from Part 1 on the Charitable Contributions Summary. Data cell 12b is shaded yellow. I've tried the entering the following into data cell 12b: leaving it blank, entering 0 (zero), 300, 600 (I am filing jointly), and the amount of cash deductions from the Charitable Contributions Summary, but each results in the same error message. 

@GELewis 

For the TurboTax desktop editions -

To remove the error I went into Forms mode and deleted the Charitable Organization Worksheet.  Then on the Form 1040 Worksheet for Line 12b removed the $300 amount so Line 12b is now blank (empty).

Going back to Step-by-Step I completed the Deductions & Credits section without entering anything for a charitable donation and click on Done with Deductions.  Continuing through the screens until landing on the screen labeled Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, I entered $600.  Continued through Final Review without error.

For the TurboTax online editions -

The problem appears to be that a charitable donation was entered in the Deductions and Credits section of the program when you are only eligible for the Standard Deduction.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Scroll through the all the forms, schedules and worksheets listed and delete all the Charitable Organization forms listed.

When completed with removing forms click on Continue With My Return at the bottom of the list.

Click on Federal on the left side of the screen

Click on Deductions & Credits at the top of the screen

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks

Continue through the screens.  After the screen showing that you are getting the Standard Deduction the following screen is Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act.  Enter $600 if filing Jointly or $300 for all other filing status'.  The federal review and the Final Review should no longer show an error for the charitable donation.

If I delete the Charitable Organization Worksheet, won't I lose those deductions (which are considerable), and thereby lessen my itemized deductions?

@GELewis wrote:

If I delete the Charitable Organization Worksheet, won't I lose those deductions (which are considerable), and thereby lessen my itemized deductions?

If you are only eligible to receive the Standard Deduction then none of the charitable contributions that are entered on Schedule A as itemized deduction will be included in the federal tax return.

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2021

• Single - $12,550 add $1,700 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,550 add $1,350 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $25,100 add $1,350 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,800 add $1,700 if age 65 or older
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies