Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I obtain an IP Pin for my minor/dependent?

@Egogre wrote:

@Irene2805 The page you link only gives another link and instructions for creating a personal IP pin, NOT ONE FOR A DEPENDENT. It does not seem to either have a link to create a pin for a dependent, not information on how/where to get one.

This is an important detail.

If you feel the link all the helpers here keep spamming is the correct one, please provide additional instructions for how to use the link specifically for a dependent's IP pin.

There is no such thing as a "dependent IP PIN".   There is only one type of IP PIN all issued the same way.  Anyone with a SSN can apply for an IP PIN, including dependents. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you @macuser_22 

So, just get my kiddo to follow the same steps, or do it for them if they are too young.

For the ID.me, what if they do not have a separate email? Just create a dummy email for them? Is that something the IRS approves of?

@Egogre wrote:

Thank you @macuser_22 

So, just get my kiddo to follow the same steps, or do it for them if they are too young.

For the ID.me, what if they do not have a separate email? Just create a dummy email for them? Is that something the IRS approves of?

No.  You just fill out a f15227 form for your child and sign it with yiur name as parent of minor child and mail ti to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f15227.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Your are exactly right!  Cannot obtain IP Pin’s for children online.  After speaking with a IRS rep last Summer, I was told there is no way to re-send a PIN once it’s been sent out(always via USPS).  I was told once “lost” or misplaced, to paper file for security reasons.  I was also told this is bc the child cannot represent themselves.  

Cato211

I need my 6 digit number for my IP pin to identify me for my taxes

@Cato211 wrote:

I need my 6 digit number for my IP pin to identify me for my taxes

Go to this IRS website to retrieve your IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

To enter, edit or delete a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Same with me.  I’ve had pins on my kids for 7 years.  Last two years I have not received them and it’s looking like I will need to paper file this year like I did last year.  Very frustrating that the only way to retrieve this info is via USPS.  Not sure why I haven’t been getting them either.  No way around it.  They say they have an opt out option in the works for this year and I will be first in line!  PIA to paper file.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You can get your IP PIN number online.  

Click this link for steps on How to Find Your IP PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can only retrieve your pin for adults online- not minors 

Sbraswell35
Returning Member

how do I find the pin for a dependent.

@Sbraswell35 wrote:

how do I find the pin for a dependent.

Go to this IRS website to retrieve a previously issued IP PIN from the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

You will need to call the IRS as soon as they open 7 AM To attempt to dodge wait times.   When you speak to a representative specifically within the menu regarding identity theft, you will need to request your dependents pins to have them issued and mailed to your home.  I have been doing this for seven years and it used to be automatic. I had an issue last year and had to paper file.  I had no idea about the change nor did anyone explain this last Summer.  I know I a lot of the world was in limbo at the time so LOTS of broken communication. Now, the IRS is requiring that you call and request pins for children/dependents.   Since dependents are not tax payers, I was told by the IRS representative that I spoke with that this is the new workflow that they are going with for dependent pin retrieval.  

I need my ip pin for my 9 years old son. [phone number removed]

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The IP PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS assigns to victims of tax-related identity theft. If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can: 

Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or 

Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days) 

We're unable to issue IP PINs, and you won't find them on your tax paperwork. You can only get IP PINs from the IRS. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm trying to figure out how to obtain a ip pin for my children as this year someone tried to file my oldest child I keep looking it up but it says I need a id me account I have o e for me but I cant seem to figure out how to do it for my children...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies