Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get a refund for the deluxe filling version, which benefits I wasn’t allowed to use. Therefore, I could’ve filed for free with the same exact tax refund.

I was told to purchase the deluxe version for my tax return, which in return I would get a higher tax refund and would be granted access to use EIC (Estimated Income Credit) on my tax return. Even with the version I was told to purchase, I didn’t get either.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How do I get a refund for the deluxe filling version, which benefits I wasn’t allowed to use. Therefore, I could’ve filed for free with the same exact tax refund.

EIC stands for Earned Income Credit.     You can get earned income credit using the Free Edition--if you are eligible for EIC it is added automatically no matter what version you use.   If you are not getting EIC, it is not because of the version of the software you used.   Did you check line 27 of your Form 1040?   If you are getting EIC it will be on line 27.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistan

Not sure what other benefits you expected from using Deluxe--you have not mentioned what else you thought Deluxe could do to increase your refund.   

If you have already used Deluxe and filed the return, you will not get a refund from them for the software, although you can try having a conversation with customer support if you want to.

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY?  I WANT THE FREE EDITION

The information that you can enter in Free Edition is pretty limited now.  Thanks to the new tax laws that began for 2018 returns, there are no more simple Form 1040EZ or 1040A's.  Everything goes on a Form 1040 that has three extra "schedules" with it, and if you need any of those schedules, you are not able to use the Free Edition.  Using the standard deduction instead of itemizing does NOT mean you will not need any of those schedules.https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511011-what-happened-to-the-1040a-and-1040ez   If you started in the Free Edition and entered any data that required any of those three schedules, you have to upgrade to a paid version and if you are watching the screens carefully you are alerted to the upgrade.

When you chose to “start”  in the Free Edition —

Directly below the words “Free Edition” there is a blue link that says “For simple tax returns only”   If you click that link it brings up this information:

You can file with TurboTax Free Edition if you have a simple tax return.*

*A simple tax return is Form 1040 only.

Situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits
  • Student Loan Interest deduction

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on schedules 1-3

How does TurboTax make any money?

Customers with more complex tax situations will file with our paid TurboTax products that provide all the additional forms and guidance they need. We also offer additional benefits that go beyond filing your taxes, but they are optional and are not required to file simple taxes for free. We hope that, over time, as our customers with simple returns need more capabilities as their financial situations change (for example owning a home, having a child, managing investments), they have loved our products and services so much that they will choose our paid TurboTax offerings to prepare and file their returns.

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

Or—if you live in certain states you may be eligible to use the new IRS Direct File

( AZ, CA, FL, MA, NH, NV, NY, SD, TN, TX, WA, WY )

https://directfile.irs.gov/

How can I see my TurboTax  fees? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons     (BEFORE you e-file) :

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Dear Child,

Do you know what forums are used for? Clearly,  you do not know forums true purpose is. I posted it on the forums because Turbo Tax told me to ask the audience for help. Meaning, this issue could have happened to someone else and they may have already solved the issue. Therefore, posting on here could possibly get me  some insight on what I may need to do. 
I know what EIC means, but clearly you cannot read. I stated that Turbo Tax recommended me to use the deluxe edition of their tax filling return. They insured me that by doing so I would receive a higher or my highest tax refund, they also stated that I needed the deluxe version in order to receive the EIC highest credit. I know that I do not have to pay in order to file my taxes, Turbo Tax believes differently. 

I came here asking for help on how I would go on starting a refund for the deluxe tax return filling fee, obviously people at forums can’t grant me a refund but they can guide me into the right direction. I only did this because their offices are closed. 

I will also use whatever word I please. It is not my fault that you have zero context clues. Consequently, now you’re not sure if I’m talking about a a tax return or if I’m talking about a refund. You should really read more books if you’re having trouble with your comprehension skills.

This  kind of  attitude gets you no where, child. 

Please clarify how TurboTax told you these inaccurate things.  Did a person who works for TurboTax tell you or did you read it in the program or read it in an online forum?   If you were told those things by a representative there will be a record of that on your account.  The phone conversation is recorded and could be pulled and listened to in order to verify the incident and justify a refund.

@spartan5595 

The only way to get a refund is to contact the customer support telephone number.  No one on the forum has access to your account or knows your exact situation.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/turbotax-phone-number...

Simply as a matter of how the program works, there are some forms and tax situations that require you to upgrade.  This does not guarantee any particular outcome, as you always owe your own correct tax.  EIC is not one of the situation that requires an upgrade, but we don't know what forms and situations you have, so we can't tell you whether the upgrade was necessary or was salesmanship.  You need to call customer support.  If you want a filing solution that is truly free no matter what forms and situations you have, you need to seek another provider. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies