Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file my 2018 Tax Return Now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Online preparation and e-filing for 2018 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2016, 2017, or 2018 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900990-how-do-i-file-a-prior-year-tax-return

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

@Jerrilynn1

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is permanently closed.

If you need to prepare a return for 2017, 2018, or 2019 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

42 Replies

How do I get into Turbo Tax to file my 2018 Tax Return?

If you need to prepare a return for 2016, 2017, or 2018 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I printed out my Turbo Tax return from 2018; all 130 plus pages of it. 🙂

What EXACT documents do I need to send in to the IRS when filing this return; and does the turbo tax print out have everything I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

You need to include all the forms you received that have withholding. This includes W2s, 1099-Rs, 1099-DIVs and so on. 

You should staple the forms you are sending with the return to the front of the return. You will need to remember to sign and date the tax return.

If you entered in totals for your 1099-B, rather than the individual transactions, and there are unreported transactions, you will need to include a copy of your 1099-B. If you do need to send you 1099-B, you can place it in the back of the return. 

Be sure to separate the IRS return from any state returns.

There should be a cover sheet for each return that explains how and where to send it and what to include.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

how do I file my 2018 

@r1rosemary

Mom70

I have just spent $79 for nothing; I was under the impression that retrieval of 2018 tax rtrn form would be available, what a waste of money!

What are you trying to get?  Did you start a 2018 return last year online?

How to finish a prior year online return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

Mom70

No, I filed an extension online ... now, I'd like to file 2018.

What was the $79 for?  Did you buy the 2018 program download?  You need to install it and fill out your return on your computer.  Then it has to be mailed in.

how to file 2018 tax; i have two states w2

@paverypavery

My 2018 is in your system but states it wasn't filed for 2018.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies