Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I download TurboTax Premier for 2022 tax year? I purchased the program at Costco and do not have a CD drive for my MAC?

Is there someone I can talk to about installing TurboTax Premier for 2022 on my MAC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

How do I download TurboTax Premier for 2022 tax year? I purchased the program at Costco and do not have a CD drive for my MAC?

This shouldn't be a problem -- you can download your software directly from the TurboTax website.

Please refer to the TurboTax Help article I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive for guidance.

Did you buy the CD at Costco or the download online from Costco?

I have used Turbotax all along, since quicktax, this year I do not see the CD version anymore. Every year I pickup one from Costco, so I picked up one said online, unfortunately it is not the online download rather it is a web based thing very awkward to use. There is nothing to down load, no show if line number and forms.

I am wondering if I can go back to Costco to get a different copy. I am stuck right now especially with a rental property sale that doesn’t work out as expected.

@Calman1 

One of the posts above had a Help link in it for downloading the "Desktop" software if you bought the CD at Costco.

You have to use the special link in step #1 at the following help page.

I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.   You need to use the desktop software.   One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

You appear to be posting from online software instead of the desktop CD/download software that the license code is for.  If you are using online, you are using the wrong program.  You need to switch to the desktop software to get what you paid for.  You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

I picked up one said online, unfortunately it is not the online download rather it is a web based thing very awkward to use.

You will need to seek a refund from the place you purchased it. Then you can purchase the CD version from costco at https://www.costco.com/turbotax-deluxe-2022-federal-e-file-+-state-download,-for-pc/mac,-includes-$1...  (Note, this is the deluxe version, as that is the only CD version I see available on the costco website.)

Thanks for your input. My wife just saw one premier cd/download copy for pc. She is going to pick up for me. Not sure whether Costco would refund me the online one or not, also deadline is coming, not sure whether I can import what I entered data online to this new version. If not, well, I will have to re-enter everything for everyone.

Are you doing a USA return?  Costco only sells the CD in the stores.  The CD has both Windows and Mac on it.  Costco sells the download Desktop program online and you have to select Windows or Mac.  What exactly did you buy at the store?  People sometimes don't know when you buy at Costco you have to take the package to the pickup windows to get the actual CD.  So they walk out with the empty package.

I buy the CD from Costco every year.  And my friends buys the download from Costco online.  I used the download method instead.   It has more advantages over CD.  Then you can also download it another computer. Once you install the CD you can't install it again like if you need to reinstall the program or install on a different computer.

There should be a card in the CD case on on the CD envelope that says how to download it and you will need the 14 or 16 digit code from it to enter.

How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

And see this.  How to install with a License Code

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/activating-turbotax-cd-download-software/00/852971

I can give you my step by step instructions for both Costco CD & download for how to install it.

Yes You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.  If you already paid for the Online version you can ask them for the Desktop program. And you can buy a lower version Desktop program.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Download the .tax2022 file for free

How do I save my TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).  Just enter some basic personal info like your name and address then click on the State tab at the top and it should ask if you want to download the state program.

Thanks SteamTrain!

I think I picked a wrong one at Costco. This is the first year they carry online copy, it used to be a free software I thought and thought what I got meant to download online the same software . Apparently I am wrong. It cost about the same I believe. Now I do not know how to even export my data to new or future desktop copies of turbotax. I am old school, have used the software since quicktax, the original turbo tax

Thanks Volvo-girl!

it is a box with a license key for online registration only, once registered, it is just an online application. Awkward to use, at least for people like me. I am in Canada and pick it up from Costco.

I thought so.  Canada does have the online version in stores.

This is the USA forum.

Here is the Canada forum  

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/tax-help

Or Contact TurboTax Canada Support

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

That is great VolveGirl!

thanks for your helpful info. I will try that. 

cheers!

Thanks! I get good support from here, thanks America! But will check into the Canadian community as well. Have a great day!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies