Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bschwat01

How do I download Tubrotax Software for Windows (Premier provided from Fidelity) as I do not want to use the online version.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How do I download Tubrotax Software for Windows (Premier provided from Fidelity) as I do not want to use the online version.

You can access your download from the Fidelity website.

Click this link for detailed info on Downloading TurboTax through Fidelity.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The link provided only provides the online version, not the download version.  Fidelity says it is available again as a download this year.  I did the free download the last few years but it appears Intuit only wants to provide the online version this year?  Any suggestions?

Whenever you are using a partner/affiliate discount or offer, you have to use the link from that affiliate, and read the offer very carefully so you understand it.   If the offer is only for online, then you cannot switch it to get the CD/download.

Go back to the Fidelity site and read the offer carefully.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@DIY998   Here's some notes I have to get Turbo Tax from Fidelity.  See if they work

Go to this page,

https://www.fidelity.com/tax-information/turbotax-discount/overview

Then scroll down and Click on the Next Step - Get Turbo Tax now and save $20

Then You get to the Online versions

For Desktop, after you get to the page listing the Online versions go up to

Products and Pricing

Then pick CD/download Products

Dec 2021 I saw a post that says how to get the Desktop program from Fidelity...

The download product is kind of hidden. You don't want to click the Start for Free button under Premier on the first page you see. That takes you into the online product. Instead, you have to click the understated "File Your Own Taxes" link at the top. Then click CD/Download Products > Compare All Products. Then you see the Buy Now button with the discounted (or $0) price.

Follow the link ... then click on FILE YOUR OWN TAXES  then CD/DOWNLOAD then COMPARE ALL PRODUCTS  to get to the downloaded options ... be aware that ALL the downloaded programs can handle ALL the same things so you only need DELUXE  (BASIC if you don't need a state or to import from IT'S DEDUCTIBLE)  ...  Note the marketing ploy at work ... the higher versions are "recommended" but not required like the online version is.... 

1.jpg

Thank you for the feedback!  There are two different incentives from Fidelity - 1) the $20 discount for all clients and 2) free Premier and state for private client customers.  The link works for the discount and I'm after the latter one.  I called Fidelity and they confirmed that both online and download are agreed upon between Fidelity and TurboTax.  However, Fidelity sent a link that only works for online.  I called and they said to contact TurboTax.  I can't seem to crack the code!  It may be easier to just buy it!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to reach back out to Fidelity.  Since Fidelity is offering a free version of TurboTax Premier to private clients, they will need to provide you with the correct link so that the discount applies. 

@DIY998

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

See if the link is available when you log into your account online since it is only available to current clients.  It may also be in the form of a code to enter on the TT  billing screen. 

In my Fidelity account, there is a block at the bottom of the Summary screen where there is a heading Get TurboTax Premier Free.  I click on Get Started Now at the bottom of the block and it takes me to TurboTax. Follow the instructions provided by previous posters to find the CD/download product on the TurboTax site. 

Thanks again to all of you!  Texas Roger, you mention to click Get Started Now and follow the instructions provided by Critter.  When I click on Get Started Now, it takes me directly into the online version.  I don't get the option use any other links.  I'm straight into answering questions about my return and uploading last years tax return to the web.  I'm just not comfortable putting all my data on Intuit's web site.  That's why I wanted to download it and run it on my desktop.  I realize both are accessing the internet but it just seems more secure to keep it on my desktop.  As I said, I may just buy it unless I can crack the code.  I've gone back to Fidelity again and they don't know how to do it either.  It was a piece of cake in prior years!

Are you sure there is no File your own taxes in the location circled by Critter in red in her reply? When you click on that there is a drop down that lets you choose CD/download products. 

ThreeWongs
Returning Member

I was able to get the download - from Critter's instruction for Fidelity - the key is selecting what was circled in red ("File your own taxes") - although it was not obvious or straightforward, since I'm still unsure the *exact steps* to how it actually happened ... because in many cases they put you back into the online version page that's missing the "File your own taxes" option. 

Besides selecting "File your own taxes" and then the CD Download, the other key is that I also logged into my Intuit account at some point during the convoluted process ... the $0 purchase (available for MAC and Win versions, including a free State copy) then appeared in my account, so the download with license key is available through my account permanently.

P.S. I remember it being convoluted like this last year as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies