Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mvoei

How do I adjust for excess witholding due to TAMRA rule?

turbotax says that I had excess with holding. How do I adjust for TAMRA rule with holding?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I don't understand your question. Did you have an excess 401(k) contribution.

If you have a 2020 excess 401(k) contribution see the answer by awesome Tax Expert @KathrynG3401k over contribution

If you received 1099-Rs for an excess 2019 contribution see the answer in Incorrect code in 2019 1099-R box 7.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mvoei

No, I do not have excess contribution, though the 403 (b) contribution amount is over the typical IRS limit of $19,500 plus $6,500 for the catch up, because I contributed more via a  5%employee/ 9% employer match plan. Because the University I work for has a mandatory rule after 5 years of working,  those contributions no longer count towards  IRS limits. This IRS rule is called the TAMRA rule.  I have heard that self-filings like turbo tax are not built to understand these exceptions, and the program is telling me that I overcontributed by $4200.  I need to make some sort of adjustment, possibly by manually entering the W-2 information, which I had imported.  The question then is where and what do I manually adjust., and can I do this on the on-line TurboTax or do I need to do it off line, where I can access all the forms?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

We'd have to look at your return to see how TurboTax is handling this. I suggest scheduling a call with one of our Tax Experts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have this exact same situation.  TurboTax is telling me I over contributed, but in fact, according to IRS law (TAMRA) I did not.

I'm not sure how to get TurboTax fixed on this.  I haven't paid the extra money for "Live" - I'm just hoping that the software can be fixed to correctly report the information?

mvoei

I followed the advice of a friend who is a live help person, which is basically ignore it.  The message is an alert, which you don't need to respond to.  IRS knows the tax law and will process properly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies