turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can Form 8615 be deleted? Can't delete under tax tools because of an "interview" question? How can that be changed? Can't clear and start over either.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

How can Form 8615 be deleted? Can't delete under tax tools because of an "interview" question? How can that be changed? Can't clear and start over either.

If you are required to file Form 8615, you can't delete it.

Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income

Use Form 8615, Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income (PDF) to figure your tax on unearned income over $2,200 if you're under age 18, and in certain situations if you're older (see below). Attach Form 8615 to your tax return if all of the following conditions are met.

1. Your unearned income was more than $2,200.
  2. You meet one of the following age requirements:
  • a. You were under age 18 at the end of the tax year,
  • b. You were age 18 at the end of the tax year and you didn't have earned income that was more than half of your support, or
  • c. You were a full-time student at least age 19 and under age 24 at the end of the tax year and you didn't have earned income that was more than half of your support.
  1. At least one of your parents was alive at the end of the tax year.
  2. You're required to file a tax return for the tax year.
  3. You don't file a joint return for the tax year.

But I am not required to file. I had no unearned income. I am a full time student, 20 years old; receive scholarships but they go to pay for tuition, fees and books. My parents pay the remaining balance of tuition. The original interview question was answered inerrant which triggered the 8615. My parents have not prepared their 2019 taxes so I don't have the answers for amounts on their 1040 per the form. Please help me so I can file. Thanks!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You can try going through the Wages & Income section and delete any section that reports unearned income that you didn't have. 

Also, try going back through the education interview (under Deductions & Credits) 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
M123456D

I’m having trouble deleting form 8615. How do you delete it?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@M123456D

It is possible for the form to be deleted with the Delete the form tool, but the form is immediately re-generated because an interview question initiates it.  In this case, the interview question that generates the form will have to be changed.

If you do not know the keystrokes that you used to generate the question, try Topic Search to go to the question.  Follow these steps:

• Down the left side, click Tax Tools.
  • Click Tools.
  • Click Topic Search.
  • Under I'm looking for, type 8615 and press Go.

See also this TurboTax Help.

[Edited 02/16/2021 8:40 AM PST]

M123456D

Yes I do need to delete the generated questions. I don’t have anything on the left side and I don’t see Tax Tools anywhere. Can you guide me through this?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@M123456D

If you are in TurboTax Online, are you able to see Tax Home in the black band down the left side of the screen?

Click that to bring up the tax return that you are working on for the current year.

M123456D

I’m not doing turbo tax online. I have downloaded the disk to my home computer . Can you still help me?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@M123456D

I hope that I can help.

• Are you at the screen Continue Your 2020 Tax Return?
  • Click Continue on the icon for your tax return.
  • Does that bring you up to your tax return?
  • If so, click on Forms on the far right.
  • Forms in My Return should be on the left side.
  • Scroll down to find the form that you wanted to delete.
  • Highlight the form and click Delete in the lower part of the screen.

If the form regenerates after you delete it, then you have to go back to the question and answer that generates the form.

The Topic Search is in the upper left hand corner under Tools / Topic list.

You scroll down to find the form that you are looking for and click.  You are taken to the place in the tax software where you are generating that form.  Then review and/or change the answers to remove the form.

M123456D

I’m still not able to delete this form and I don’t know what question is that is triggering it. Hopefully you can help me still. I’m starting to get frustrated. 

If required, it cannot be deleted.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8615.pdf

Who Must File
Form 8615 must be filed for anyone who meets all of the
following conditions.
1. You had more than $2,100 of unearned income.
2. You are required to file a tax return.
3. You were either:
    a. Under age 18 at the end of 2020,
    b. Age 18 at the end of 2020 and didn’t have earned income
that was more than half of your support, or
    c. A full-time student at least age 19 and under age 24 at the
end of 2020 and didn’t have earned income that was more than
half of your support.
(Earned income is defined later. Support is defined below.)
4. At least one of your parents was alive at the end of 2020.
5. You don’t file a joint return for 2020.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I had this problem. I FINALLY figured out what question was generating the form 8615. 

I went to 

- MY INFO 

In the personal info summary, I clicked on "edit" in the first box. I double checked all the info then clicked continue, and went through all the student related generated questions. I reached a question that asked me if I had a child between the ages of 19- 24 with unearned income. My question said "yes" when it should have said "no". Afterwards I went to TAX TOOLS then TOOLS then DELETE FORM. Hopefully that helps!

Thanks! 

Here is another thing to check if that did not work for anyone. There was a student q about whether more than half of your expenses were covered by earned income. If you mistakingly put no the form is required

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@M123456D

Are you still having trouble deleting Form 8615?  You can try these instructions as well.

Windows Instructions:

1. Switch to Forms mode.
  2. In the left pane, select the form you want to remove.
  3. After the form is generated in the right pane, click the Delete Form button at the bottom of the window.
  4. Follow any on-screen instructions to remove the form or forms.

You may need to contact customer service directly for assistance. Please see the following information here for more details. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies