turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Has there been a solution found for the Sch SE-S and Sch SE-T (reference code: 5-569-197) turbotax glitches yet? I really need to file my taxes.

@ddub65 Since you continue to experience the same problem, even after following the troubleshooting steps, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Has there been a solution found for the Sch SE-S and Sch SE-T (reference code: 5-569-197) turbotax glitches yet? I really need to file my taxes.

We have been trying to get support for a month. Support acknowledged that there's a bug after a few hours on the phone. They said they would get back to us in 48 hours. This was over a week ago. So infuriating. Turbo Tax is absolute trash.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Perhaps this will help.

In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, I was able to remove self-employment tax deferral and pass Review.  In some cases, you may need to add temporary income to your self-employment activity to generate a balance due and allow you to access the self-employment tax deferral questions.  Follow these steps.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions  & credits.
  • Under Your tax breaks, scroll down to Self-employment tax deferral.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right of Self-employment tax deferral.
  • At the screen Do you want more time to pay your self-employment tax?, click Yes.
  • At the screen Let's start by getting your eligible income, I have left the dollar amount that was previously entered, others change this amount to $0.
  • Click on Continue.
  • At the screen Tell us how much you'd like to defer, delete the dollar amount.
  • Click Continue.
  • Click through Federal Review to make sure than the Review issue has been removed.
  • At the screen Some of your self-employment taxes may be eligible, click Skip

The self-employment tax deferral is an optional benefit.  It is also a deferral rather than forgiveness, so those amounts will eventually need to be repaid. Half of the deferred amount is due on December 31, 2021, and the other half is due on December 31, 2022.

alextoro

I'm having this issue and after clicking Yes on the 

Do you want more time to pay your self-employment tax? screen it says 
You currently owe no self-employment tax, even after entering $500,000 worth of income. 

I still get 2 error messages when attempting the final review: 
Sch SE-S: Your calculations could not be completed. Reference code: 5-290-236
Sch SE-T: Your calculations could not be completed. Reference code: 5-290-236

It's been 2 days of trying each solution posted here and elsewhere multiple times. I've deleted all the forms, filled them out again, been on the phone with customer support for over 2 hours.  I have tried it all. I'm just about at the end of my rope

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you still experiencing this issue?

@alextoro

As of last weekend, yes. The problem is still there. We were ready to file early Feb and have wasted well over 15 hours on this.  We've about given up on all things Intuit. Hoping H&R block will serve us better after about 8 years of Turbo Tax.

Also, a little advice. When people are frustrated and using a forum to figure out how to get around bugs in your software, do not spam them with stupid cute emails about earning badges. The only badge I want is to have this over with.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Thank you for the feedback, I will make a note of this. We apologize for the frustration.

I think it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2020" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. 

If you would like to do this, here are the instructions. Be sure to tag me by using "@" and KathrynG3. I will be looking for your token number to get this examined more closely immediately:

For TurboTax Online:

• From the left menu, click Tax Tools.
  • Tools.
  • Share my file with agent click Send.
  • There will be a pop-up with a token number.

For TurboTax Desktop:

• On your menu bar at the very top, click "Online"
  • Send Tax File to Agent click Send.
  • The pop-up will have a token number.

I'll be able to open TurboTax with your numbers but not your personal information. That may help diagnose the issue.

@jomacgugan

I WAS eligible for this deferral, then I got to the error in the review section, and followed the instructions in this thread. Now, I'm NOT eligible any longer because my return shows a small Federal Refund. Please get your program corrected. This may have cost me greatly. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The instructions in this thread were intended for cases where there was a Check this Entry issue with the SE Tax Deferral section because there was actually no eligibility to defer self-employment tax once all the details had been entered in the return. 

To verify the results for your situation, revisit the SE section and enter a value for 280/366ths of income, which would cover the days from March 27 through December 31, 2020. However, the IRS allows you to "use any reasonable method" to calculate the amount of income that could be deferred.

This deferral does not forgive the tax. It allows 50% to be paid later via  Electronic Federal Tax Payments System at EFTPS. The entire self-employment tax calculated for 2020 is still charged. If the deferral is elected, then:

• 50% of the 2020 SE tax is due by December 31, 2021.
  • 50% of the 2020 SE tax is due by December 31, 2022.

To run through a worksheet and confirm your results, see 2020 Form 1040 Instructions, Schedule 3 Line 12e instructions beginning on page 104. The worksheet is on page 105.

For more resources, see:

2020 Schedule SE Instructions for Part III begin on page 6.

2020 Schedule SE, see page 2, Part III for the deferral reporting.

[Edited 05/16/2021 | 9:01 PM PST]

@aljoyce459

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies