turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Free state e-filing?

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the $24.99 state e-file fee if you print and

mail the state instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
je58
Level 1

Free state e-filing?

Ok maybe I mailed the return afterall.

Trom

Free state e-filing?

Bought same program last year, e-filed and was not charged a fee to file my state.  Is this a change to program?

Free state e-filing?

@Trom wrote:

Bought same program last year, e-filed and was not charged a fee to file my state.  Is this a change to program?

If you purchased the TurboTax desktop CD/Download software, there has been an e-file charge of either $19.99 or $24.99 for e-filing a state tax return for many, many years.  Except for New York state which is exempt from the charge.  You can avoid this charge by printing and mailing the state tax return.

Trom

Free state e-filing?

I have been e-filing for years and the program always had 1 free e-file for state.  This is the first time I have been asked to pay a fee.

Returning Member

Free state e-filing?

I am being charged $20.00 to file my state return  why?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Free state e-filing?

There is a fee to e-file your state return. To avoid the e-filing fee you have the option to mail in your state return.

If you go to the TurboTax website for the desktop editions and click on the link 1 state download.  

When you scroll down and you will see the fees explained -https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Free state e-filing?

i get free one time filing which i wanted but was still charged 20.00 pluse a 40 electronic fee which much as i paid for turbo tax

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Free state e-filing?

Do you have any other TurboTax fees being deducted from your tax refund? If you selected to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, there may be an additional fee for the Refund Processing Service

You can view a breakdown of your TurboTax charges by signing in to your online return. Once you have signed in and selected to continue your return, select Tools from the My Account drop-down list in the upper right corner. In the pop-up window, select My Fees to get a breakdown of your TurboTax charges.

Please click How do I remove the Premium Services to learn more. 

cl319

Free state e-filing?

If we are all asking the same question, sounds like its' wording is misleading. Class action?

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Free state e-filing?

The wording says free federal e-file (see image). Emphasis on Federal. There is a fee for state e-filing. Also, for TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business, they get 1 free state download. The wording is download, not e-file.

Please check out the TurboTax website for Desktop . There it says, 1 state download. State e-file additional.

jimtrips

Free state e-filing?

Better disclosure is needed

Free state e-filing?

I was also very disappointed with TurboTax Premier CD I purchased regarding the state return it includes. It stated on the cover of the packaging that it included "State Returns". I found out that when I went to E-File my state return that there was an additional charge of $25 to actually E-File it. I checked the back cover of the CD and in fine print it said you could print the state return free, but E-Filing it would cost an additional fee. Then in a footnote with even smaller print, it said the early state E-Filing fee would be $20 until the fee was anticipated to increase in March 2022. Since I owed more state taxes, I waited until 4/15/22 to E-File my state return which cost $25. It is a very deceptive practice and disappointing to see Intuit take advantage of customers in this way.

Free state e-filing?

I purchased on a Home and Business software. I have done this for many years. Now Turbo Tax wants to charge me to download my state. Why? Don't I receive one state download?

Free state e-filing?

E-filing fee in desktop software

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?    And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies