turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keshavp

Form 2210 Error Line D withholding Sum of 4 columns not equal to total withholding

Review shows Form 2210 error
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

Form 2210 Error Line D withholding Sum of 4 columns not equal to total withholding

It looks like a programming error on the part of TurboTax. Happened to me, too. I looked at the error report which had an image of the worksheet and noted that the worksheet had four columns for withholding payments in 2020 when there should only be three periods. I suspect that you filled out the information for Form 2210 before the 2/26/21 TurboTax update. If you did, you provided information for four periods. After the update TurboTax combined the first two periods into one period, but it appears that TurboTax left a "ghost" of you previous second period input in the worksheet and, presto, when they add all four columns in the worksheet it produces an error. I fixed it by zeroing out the 2nd column in the worksheet in the error report.
While that solved that error, TurboTax is currently not filling out Part IV of Form 2210 correctly. I will solve that by switching to the H&R Block tax software next year. This type of error is inexcusable two months into the tax season.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax is aware of errors related to calculating underpayment penalties on Form 2210. The problem has been reported and is under investigation. Taxpayers can continue to efile with the option of deleting the form and allowing the IRS to calculate any underpayment penalty for you.
 How to delete a form in TurboTax CD/Download software
 How to delete a form in TurboTax Online

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much. I successfully deleted the form and e-filed. I put MANY hours into trying to solve this before you posted. I appreciate your help! 

I prefer to LEAVE the incorrect form 2210 in the e-file so that the IRS sees that Turbo tax is incorrect. Let TT represent themselves with themselves with the IRS for incorrect forms and math.

I am getting an error in Box 1

Form 2210.jpg

Me too... Form 2210 errors in lines 10(a) and 11(a)

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to contact customer service directly for assistance with your account. Please see the following information here for more details. 

The software has a glitch.  There is a fix, that a third party user came up with...  Sad that TurboTax didn't do it correctly in the first place.  It does not instill confidence in their product.

Here's the fix for the 2210 error:  Add a dollar to the amount it's asking you about.  It doesn't change your refund or payment.  Apparently it has to do with a rounding error.  I did that, and the software was happy and I was able to print so I could file by mail (recommended).  

The Form 2210 errors go much deeper. They also involve Form 2210AI where estimated tax payments by quarter are not calculated correctly. Further, if on your Tax Payments worksheet you show a federal tax carryover from your 2020 tax return that you applied to your 2021 estimated tax payments, that carryover is not being picked up. Look at lines 10a and 11a on form 2210 and line 27 on form 2210AI.
I have used TT for over 25 years and this year they let all the gremlins in. Handling multiple 1098's for the same loan due to the original loan company transferring the loan to a third party and then transferring it back is way beyond their worksheets. They double up on the outstanding loan balance. Like the above problems with the 2210, I had to override their fields to correct the programming errors. 
Support is totally lost. I have been waiting for updates for the 1098 errors for weeks. At this point updates need to be released daily.
BillM223
Expert Alumni

The issue of the amount in line 27(a) (2210AI) appearing to be doubled when transferred to line 10(a) (2210) has been addressed. Please respond if you see otherwise.

@bbakercpa

Form 2210 line 10 is now correct...HOWEVER, line 11 is still incorrect. Total of estimated payments does not equal the total taxes from the Tax Payments Worksheet, line 20.

Another posting indicated that there was a new update today, 2/25/22. As of 8am on the east coast, there is no new update.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If your software is up to date, try deleting the form and adding it back. 

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to delete a form.

@bbakercpa

Deleting the 2210 and adding it back in does not work. My Federal tax refund for 2020 which I applied to my 2021 estimated payments still not being picked up on line 11a.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for assistance with this issue.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@bbakercpa

iwish

It's 4/9 and the problem still exists.  Form 2210 Error Line D withholding Sum of 4 columns not equal to total withholding

Tried solutions recommended and still get the same message.

posted
‎March 2, 2021 5:50 AM
last updated ‎March 02, 2021 5:50 AM

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies