turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forgot to report unemployment

I forgot to enter my unemployment info before submitting my return. My first time ever on unemployment and was confused on how to do it. Can I cancel my return and edit it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will have to wait.  Once you e-file a return, you cannot get it back or make any changes to it.  You will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected to make any changes.  Do not make any changes to your e-filed return, it will not go through.  The IRS is not accepting returns until Feb. 12th, you will have to wait until then to see if your return is accepted or rejected.

If rejected, you can enter or change your information, then re-e-file.

If accepted, you would have to amend your return to make changes or add information.

--------------------------------

Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave?

Here's where to report your 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave.

If you're using the TurboTax mobile app, follow these instructions.

Unemployment compensation and paid family leave are entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your tax return.
  2. Search for 1099-G and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2020? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your 1099-G information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You will have to wait.  Once you e-file a return, you cannot get it back or make any changes to it.  You will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected to make any changes.  Do not make any changes to your e-filed return, it will not go through.  The IRS is not accepting returns until Feb. 12th, you will have to wait until then to see if your return is accepted or rejected.

If rejected, you can enter or change your information, then re-e-file.

If accepted, you would have to amend your return to make changes or add information.

--------------------------------

Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave?

Here's where to report your 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave.

If you're using the TurboTax mobile app, follow these instructions.

Unemployment compensation and paid family leave are entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your tax return.
  2. Search for 1099-G and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2020? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your 1099-G information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

TreReg50

I forgot to enter my unemployment info before submitting my return. My first time ever on unemployment and was confused on how to do it. Can I cancel my return and edit it

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. Which won't be until Feb 12 this year. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it. Click on Add a State to let you back into your return..

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

@TreReg50  The post just above yours, gives you all the information about entering unemployment after your filed your return.

Have filed and got my return. Missed my unemployment.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

If you omitted income, overstated withholding and paid in taxes or dependents, or something different affected your filed and accepted federal return, as long as IRS is finished processing it, then you now need to file an amended return to include the missed unemployment income.

Hopefully you can e-file it so it can be processed faster.  Be prepared to pay back some of the original refund received in case your taxable income is increased on the amended return.

Here are some instructions on "How to Amend your federal return":

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

When you're ready to amend, find your situation below and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

Related Information:

IRS Wheres My Amended Return

Please refer to the following link for additional information on amending your 2020 return:

How do I amend my 2020 return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies