Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ERROR 42016 CANNOT UPDATE

ADD ME TO THE GROWING LIST OF TURBOTAX USERS GETTING ERROR 42016 WITH ZERO HELP FROM TURBOTAX!!  WHEN YOU TRY TO GET A SOLUTION, TT MAKES YOU JUMP THROUGH SEVERAL HOOPS, PROVE IT'S ME, ENTER CODES SENT TO MY PHONE, ETC. ETC. ETC. JUST TO SIGN IN TO TRY TO FINID HELP FROM THE "COMMUNITY"!!  NO OFFENSE, COMMUNITY, BUT I'M TRYING TO GET HELP FROM THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS TURKEY OF A SOFTWARE PACKAGE, BUT THEY HAVE ZERO HELP AVAILABLE!!  

INSTEAD THEY APPEAR TO BE WASTING OUR TIME WITH STUPID "BADGES" FOR USING THEIR WEB  SITE.  WHAT A STUPID JOKE!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

There seems to be a rash of this issue recently  ... funny thing is it always seems to happen right after a WIN OS update.  So run the WIN OS updates a couple of times and reboot your computer at least twice to make sure they are installed then try the TT program again.  

thorleif

Seems to me Intuit would have solved the problem by now.  I, too, am stuck waiting to e-file my return.  Don't know what happened this year, but it's the WORSE TurboTax edition I've ever used and I've used many years' editions.

On the same boat and WAITING. Quite frustrating.

THANK YOU for your comment, but after checking, Windows says I'm up to date. I made it check anyway, and it came up with some optional INTEL updates that seem to be hardware issues. After shutting down, and restarting, restarting, restarting, still getting ERROR 42016.

My only hope is that it's updated enough to file, so I'm going to click "DO NOT TRY AGAIN" and hope upon hope that this TURKEY will let me file by Monday, or else I'm going to be mighty upset.

FYI ... if you file on Monday and it is rejected again you have 5 extra days to refile successfully or mail in the return with the rejection email attached.  

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Has anyone confirmed  that updating Windows (10 in my case) will resolve this and not cause another problem ? Right now I am able to access my returns, run through the program, but have not tried to efile yet.   I have a pending update 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5031356)

THANK YOU, I will see how it goes.

Meanwhile, signing back in here to Community, TT is still awarding me more useless Badges, LoL...  Sure wish they'd spend their time fixing all their glitches, and less with this useless online debris.

@Edge10 

What would it hurt to install the WIN update ? 

I tried to install on another computer that has windows os up to date but got same error just launched TurboTax the 1st time.

BTW, I  called the customer service and was told that there's an investigation going on this but has no estimate time for resolution.

Questions: what version of TT are you guys have?

I have premier and bought from intuit.com whenit was on a big sale back to December 2022.

In the past, I bought from either Amazon or Costco and never had any issues.

I am unsure if this issue happens on certain version of the software. Just curious.

psharon54

I need help too.  I have spent 3 hours trying to add sales tax for a auto purchase and now I find that all the numbers in the comparison for 2021 are incorrect.  I'm not sure where these numbers came from, NOT ME. I have been using Home and Business every years for 15 years.  This release is a mess!  I need help today.

I tried updating (no updates needed)  and rebooting twice and did nothing.  Waste of time advice.  This is a turbotax problem not a PC problem.  Even if it incompatible this is STILL a Turbotax problem. 10/16 is the deadline so they had better fix it now or there is a class action coming.

In order to have 5 more days you need to be able to submit it.  Turbotax will not let you submit it in the 1st place. Stop giving bad advice - it's worse than no advice. 

You should put that in a separate thread (or contact turbotax phone support).  Your problem has nothing to do with error 42016.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies