turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DonW74
Returning Member

e-filing of 2020 Tax Return

I am helping a relative who did not timely file their 2020 tax return.  TurboTax 2020 states that it no longer will allow e-filing of this return, yet the software lets me complete (and pay for state) e-filing.  Can this person e-file the 2020 return at this time--August 2022?  My accountant was able to e-file a 2018 return for an Estate I was working on.  Is there any other way to e-file this return if TurboTax's software does not allow it at this time.

Thank you! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Sorry not in Turbo Tax.  Maybe go to a local tax place or accountant can efile.  I assume you are using the Desktop program?  It let you pay the $25 to efile state?  I'm surprised it let you.  You need to ask for a refund.

How to contact Turbo Tax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Sorry but only the 2021 return can be currently efiled thru the TT program so all prior year returns must be mailed in  UNLESS  you pay a professional tax pro who can still efile the 2020 return (not all can).  In the FILE tab simply choose to mail in the returns and the correct forms & mailing instructions will be included in the PDF file. 

no. Turbotax only allows e-filing of the current year's return (2021). since you can't e-file the 2020 Federal any attempt to e-file the state will be rejected. the only way to e-file the 2020 return is to use a tax pro.  

DonW74
Returning Member

Thank you for replying and for the promptness of your replies.  You have been very helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies