turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JaneRevak

E-filed Fed return rejected

I filed my mothers Fed return last week and it was rejected.  Help said it was probably because the 2019 AGI was wrong but I have her paper return from last year and know that the AGI is correct.  She filed her 2019 (and previous) return via paper mail in and then died in June.  Could the rejection of the e-file be because she is deceased and I am filing on her behalf?  If I now mail in the return will there be a problem because I tried to e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

Sorry for your loss.

There won't be any problem if you select to file by mail. 

If the return keeps getting rejected you can file a paper return by printing out copies of your federal and state returns and mailing them.

Here are a few other possible reasons why you’re still getting an e-file reject. If your mom:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A)
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more, and down when it’s 49 cents or less.

For more information please check What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

Sorry for your loss.

There won't be any problem if you select to file by mail. 

If the return keeps getting rejected you can file a paper return by printing out copies of your federal and state returns and mailing them.

Here are a few other possible reasons why you’re still getting an e-file reject. If your mom:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A)
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more, and down when it’s 49 cents or less.

For more information please check What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kris5

am having the same issue, my return continues to be rejected no matter what correction I do.  My messagehowever, is that I have input incorrect AGI or PIN ...BULL.  went to my IRS account and extracted a download of my 2019 tax return transcript.  I am not putting in the incorrect AGI as the message indicates.  This happened to me last year and I had to paper file.  You can only imagine how long it took to have my Paper Return Transcribed into the IRS systems during 2020 COVID 19.  I had applied for a mortgage in 2020 so not having my tax data available electronically was nothing short of a train wreck.  I am now thinking that this is a TURBOTAX issue and not an IRS issue as I Input the same AGI for 2019, as the IRS has in their database.  

Thanks and good luck tax payers!!!

Try entering 0 for the AGI to efile especially if you mailed 2019. The IRS was closed for several months last year and didn't process returns in time to get the AGI entered into the database.

m0T3ACHCNSL
Returning Member

This is not a solutio

n if Turbo Tax will not print the return.     Next....

My 2020 Fed tax return rejected when I tried to e-file----reason says IND-031-04-

Which I understood was for last years AGI. The figure I input is what is on my 2019 tax form, which I had

mailed in.   Somewhere along the way, as it has rejected twice now, something also said it could be

the "self select pin #".  I selected a pin.  I don't show I needed one last year.

Please advise.   Thank you!

Susan C Bond

ENTER 0 FOR AGI. The IRS took a long time last year to process 2019 returns so the AGI didn't get entered in time.

When did you file 2019? If it was late in the year or you mailed it, try putting in 0 (zero) for the AGI. And see, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

How to correct the AGI
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
How to mail a return from the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

For AGI Reject code 031
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-031-04-or-ind-032-04-the-agi-or-...

wsfisherman
Returning Member

AGI was entered correctly. Entered zero and it went through.  Apparently an IRS glitch in their system  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies