Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File return getting rejected

I just tried to reply without signing in, but I thought I should do it this way as well.  As I said in a previous post, zero in the AGI field worked for me, but I remembered I did  something else.  For the e-file pin field, TurboTax puts in the last pin the person used.  That may be a problem.  What I did was go back to the beginning of e-file, and do the process completely over again.  When you get to the part that asks for the pin, delete the pin TurboTax put in, and just put in a new 5 digit pin.  I used an old zip code that was different from the pin TurboTax inserted in that field.  When you get to the AGI part, just enter zero.  As it turns out, the previous pin is not necessary, and any 5 digit pin is OK.  If a new pin and zero in the AGI field still doesn't work, stop beating yourself in the head, print out the return (don't forget to sign and date it) and take it to the post office, to make sure the envelope gets a postmark.  Good luck.

I have been using Turbo Tax since 2001. I have never had an issue with rejected e-filing. It keeps giving me a 

IND-032-04 &/or IND-031-04 error code. This year is the first time it has asked me to enter my AGI then asks for my spouses AGI. We file Married -Joint as we always have. I tried enter AGI from line 11of form 1040 under me & Zero under spouse, Rejected. I entered Zero under me and full AGI under spouse, Rejected. I tried entering AGI under both of us, rejected.

I know you are going to tell me to print and mail my return, I understand but I don't pay TurboTax an annual fee for my TurboTax subscription for their glitch in the system to hold me up. What is the  fix around this?

@larry-jones-1956

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2020 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2020 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have tried putting AGI under me and zero for spouse. Put AGI under spouse and zero under me. Put AGI under both me and spouse. I have put zero under me & zero under spouse It keeps getting rejected. I used line 11 from 2020 form 1040. I logged into my IRS account and verified that the AGI I am using is the same one listed in my records. Also pulled a transcript and it also confirmed my AGI was correct.

What gives, is TurboTax broke?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have tried all of those options and you are still unable to e-file, you will need to print and mail your return. For more information on this, please see the Help Article here.  

@larry-jones-1956

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, TurboTax has royally messed up whatever interface they've set up with IRS.  Just give up and file by paper, of course, now you'll be in the long PO lines.  TurboTax has not addressed how they are going to compensate all of us that can't efile using their system (have efiled successfully since first offered years ago).  We'll be returning our TurboTax to Costco for a refund, but that doesn't begin to address the hours spent trying every option listed on the TurboTax chat feature.  22 efiles, 22 rejects.

ptk2
Level 1

Our electronic filing was rejected by the IRS for my spouse's AIG. I accessed the IRS site and checked the AIG they had on file. Use "202012_Tax Return Transcript_XXXX_############" file to get the AIG. I found the AIG was the same as what Ttax was showing. I entered ")" ZERO and resubmitted. It worked!

We had this same issue.  When looking at my transcript, I noticed that I, the spouse, was listed as single on the last stimulus payment.  I have no idea why that could have happened because we've been filing joint returns for 40+ years.  Grasping at straws, I guessed that if I'm now single, I must have had had zero income last year.  So where they asked for the spouse's 2020 AGI, I entered zero and it worked!!!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Not all tax returns can be e-filed.  If you've tried all of the solutions above and you're still getting rejected, print and mail your return instead. You won't have to deal with AGI issues this way. Select File by mail to print your return, and mail it to the IRS.

AGI Rejects

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That sounds awful, 22 times, for me is the stress that it generates after you work so hard and makes all the things correct and then found the email saying it was rejected, truly stressful and is the first time that it happened to me, seeing all the people who is suffered the same problem makes me think it has to be a interface problem and yes it could be nice can get something back for it. thank you for your input.

Re Pin: Turbo should have one for this year. Mine appeared, I did not insert it. The advice of (0) for AGI is working.

Mail in submission, not the w2, 1099's Only work sheets if an explanation is needed.

etc.  Try reworking on Turbo and have them resend it. Ron the Smart check once again to see if system picks anything up.

Wish you the Best!

GW-
Returning Member

Last year they did this to me, it worked one way last year and then again this year it finally worked another way.  Went through all options: Turbotax ported wrong AGI from last year, both AGI matching IRS, one matching IRS AGI, other matching IRS AGI, both zero AGI, Both no file last year, one no file and other no file, and then one zero AGI, then the other zero AGI.  10 times to get it accepted.  

Hope this helps someone avoid my stress.

GW-

How can I complete this process without it getting rejected anymore?!.Or rather how to I gain access to my 6digit code that they requesting upon completion?

CFlasch

After repeated rejections with using the actual 2020 AGI I went in and used 0 and it was accepted.  I have heard that the IRS is so far behind in processing the 2020 returns so if yours is being rejected, it may be that the IRS has not entered your 2020 return in their database.  So, using $0 [for both husband and wife, since filining jointly] worked for me

AmberE

@TXGal Did you ever get your return to go through? I'm having same issue. The AGI is correct, I went through the annoying ID.me too, got the transcript, it reflected the same number I submitted and the same number TT has on my return from last year. There is literally no reason for it to be rejected. Between me TT and the IRS we all have the same number but it was rejected, so I tried using 0. Nope, rejected again. I read someones comment that they believed it was a glitch in TT system and after getting rejected multiple times they finally decided to file elsewhere and it was accepted no problem. TT is going to tell us to print and file by mail rather than there software is flawed. Anyway just wondered if you found a resolution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies