Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e-file more than 5 returns

I spoke with intuit customer support today and asked"if I e-file 5 returns with my current tt premiere first, and then upgrade, can i e-file 5 more returns with the upgrade" and was told Yes, that the upgrade would allow me 5 additional e-files. I then asked can i use the same email address, she checked with her reference, and told me that i could use the same email address for the additional 5. Don't want to spend the money on the upgrade if it's not going to allow me 5 more e-files, so need advice....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Sorry you got wrong info from support.  Or either you or support didn't understand.  You can't get more efiles that way.  5 efiles is an IRS limit. It's to prevent fraud and people filing fake returns. To do more you have to sign up as a ERO - Electronic Returns Originator and be an authorized E-file provider. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/become-an-authorized-e-file-provider

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

The IRS only allows an individual to e-file up to 5 tax returns. You are able to e-file up to 5 tax returns with Turbo Tax CD/Download.

@user3446170

[Edited 1/24/2022 10:47PST]

Even if i purchased another tt product, how would that give me 5 additional efiles? Do you mean any other tt product or specifically the professional version: I'm confused. What would be the criteria for purchasing any other tt product with the ability to e-file 5 additional returns? I do know that I can only efile 5 with the premiere that I purchased and I know that the 5 limit is set by the IRS, not tt and the same IRS rule/limit applies to and includes all other tax programs. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

There are no limits on paper-filed returns. If you are interested in professional software, you would want to contact Intuit Pro Series for information on how to obtain that.

@user3446170

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@user3446170 

You are correct that the 5 e-file limit cannot be bypassed by purchasing another copy of the desktop program.  You can use the desktop program to prepare as many returns as you want, but more than five will have to be printed and mailed to the IRS.

There may be a way to work around the 5 e-file limit, but we don’t know exactly how the IRS enforces this limit and it would be inappropriate of me to provide speculation on how to evade regulations.

Becoming a ProSeries user is impractical for most people, because you would have to get a professional tax preparer ID number from the IRS.

jamesk6

There is an issue however with Turbo Tax as this limit also applies to amending a return which I need to do because of an issue with Turbo Tax using the wrong recipient name on a form. I don't think this limit is meant to apply to amended returns. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jkrysl

I have already talked to customer service multiple times and they do not know how to get around the issue. To me this is a fundamental flaw and want to understand why this limit would apply to amending a return -- I have 4 kids and do all 5 of our returns. I didn't need TT for the simpler ones and wouldn't have used TT for those had I known. I can now never amend a return and efile, even if I buy a second version of TT. 

For the future if you have to amend, you have to print and mail prior year amended returns so you can still use the Desktop program.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies