Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

209thekid

Double file

I accidentally filed my taxes twice I need to delete one so I can file the other 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Double file

It is impossible to e-file twice.  When one tax return has been accepted, all other attempts to e-file again will be rejected.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Double file

This is not true. You can file two times. The software should stop you, but it still will go thru. Its unfortunate but it is a thing. Has anyone found a solution to the issue? That should be the response here. Yes speaking from experience.

Double file

The program will not stop you from trying to file 2 1040 returns but the IRS will ... so did you file one 1040 and one amended 1040X return ?    Were they both accepted for processing by the IRS ?   If so you cannot stop either return.   If you need to make changes then you must wait for the original return AND the amended return to be fully processed before you can file yet  another amended return.   

Double file

The issue is on my part. I filed using the wrong software year. The return was accepted but when I went to print it out later and file it at home I saw the the return was accepted for the previous year. I waited for a rejection but it did not happen. After that I used the correct year software and input the information into that one and it too was received and accepted. However, I believe that this was a huge mistake and have no way to contact anyone to get help. The offices are all not open or not talking to anyone about refunds, only those who owe in the area I live. My return has been pending for months now. Frankly, I understand the mistake I made, but I don't know how to get this corrected either. Especially since both returns were accepted.

Double file

Ok ... what you say makes no sense ... the ONLY thing you can file now is a 2020 return no matter what tax DIY  program you used ... any other return filed for the same 2020 tax year using the same SS# will be rejected by the IRS.   So did you efile a business return using  the TT Business program  and then  ALSO  filed the return using one of the personal programs like the Home & Business version?    

Double file

So what did you do?  What years?    Were you trying to do a 2019 or prior year return but used the 2020 online version or Desktop program?  Anything you efiled this year in 2021 got filed as a 2020 return.

Then you bought and installed the right year program like 2019?   And redid your return in the right year?  You can't efile a prior year return.  So that couldn't go through.

If you efiled a prior year return using the 2020 program and on 2020 forms you need to amend that return and change it all around to be for your real 2020 return.   Did you file your real 2020 return yet?

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say?

IF YOU USED THE DESKTOP PROGRAM

For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Double file

I was under the wrong impression on how the software worked and used the wrong year to submit my 2020 taxes. I used the 2019 software on accident. I got an accepted email. Then, I went to print out my forms for filing and saw that it was done with the wrong year showing on the form. I realized my mistake and went and got the correct software and re-did the 2020 tax form as a regular form and it too was accepted. The file date was approaching or I would have waited longer for the first form to be rejected but it never was. It was months ago and I can't get anyone at any office to help with this since it is a refund and not me owing anything. I don't know what I can do to fix this.

Double file

We seriously doubt your first retun on 2019 software got efiled and accepted.   You should call in.

Contact Customer Service

(You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.) 
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Double file

Did you use the 2019 Turbo Tax to file 2019 last year back in 2020?   Maybe you are still seeing Accepted for your 2019 return?

Anyway,  I wouldn't worry about what happened with your 2020 return done on the 2019 software.  It probably didn't go anywhere.   Sounds like your real 2020 return done right on the 2020 program did get efiled and Accepted.   I think that's all that matters.

Double file

I thank you for the words of encouragement. I hope that this is true. I am currently on hold to make an appointment with the IRS anyhow as my return was done months ago is both showing accepted on the software and showing pending on the IRS site and app. Its been a very long time.

As to the first file getting accepted, I did get the emails stating that they were accepted. I just waited for the rejection and never got one. I will call if I can't get anywhere with the IRS over the phone. I thank you for your time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies