turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Desktop 2019 tax file lost password

I used Turbo Tax 2019 desktop last year. When trying to read last year's return file, it asks for a password. I think I am entering correct password, but it rejects. When I say select 'forgot password', it prompts for a security question, but the there is no question, only an answer text box. How do I recover the password for last year's file? I also tried reading last year's pdf saved file, but it is unable to pull in information from there. Need help. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

I am having the same problem.  Please help!

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Can you manually run updates to see if that allows the "internal password" function? If that still does not work, please use the FAQ link posted below and reach out to TurboTax customer service for assistance:

TurboTax customer service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax did same thing to me.  I tried to import information from my 2019 tax file into my new 2020 tax file, but TurboTax says that my 2019 file has been password protected.  Funny thing is, I never password protected my 2019 tax file.  Seems TurboTax has somehow locked me out of my previous file with some password glitch.  Spent an hour with TurboTax support, best they could say was, “sorry, there is nothing we can do”.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If your return is password protected, please follow the instructions here to recover that password. 

Sorry to point this out, but your reply says open your return and THEN change your password. 

I CAN NOT open my 2019 return because TurboTax states that it is password protected and  locked.  

I looked at history on that file and it appears that I accessed my 2019 return several times from February thru March 2020 before I filed it online.  It appears that once I filed the return, TurboTax must then have locked the file as there is no history Trail after the filing date.  Of course, I did not need that file until I started working on this years taxes and wanted to import continuations from last year.  

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@jordonr Please contact customer support here for further assistance so that we can take a look at what is going on to better assist you.

Again, pay previous post stated that I did contact TurboTax support, spent 20 min with them, and was told “sorry, there is nothing we can do”.

I can only guess from this reply that there is some program glitch with passwords in the 2019 TurboTax program that they don’t deem important enough to bother with.  I do not want to post negative comments, but others are having this same problem with no resolve.  I guess it is what it is with TurboTax support.  

I also spent an hour with TurboTax support, but they could not find any solution. They advised me to reenter all data manually from last year. Strange thing is that the 2019 file is not not accessible by the Turbotax 2019 software also (after it updated). So I have only the pdf print copy (fortunately) to refer to to access last year's data.  Intuit should address the problem and issue an immediate patch, otherwise the advantage of pulling in information from last year's return is lost. TurboTax Support, please issue a patch for this problem. Thanks.

Hi folks, I am having a very similar password problem with Turbotax2020 Desktop download. It says my password is invalid and prompts me for the security question. That works and gives me access to my return but I see no way to reset my password. I am using a Mac Desktop. Please help, Thanks

Ok, I just went back and read your post and it worked!  I used the File and Encrypt link and it let me reset my password. Ok Awesome, I'm Happy now ! 

Thank you very much

marthajg

I have the same problem and have not been able to solve it.  Very frustrating.  In my case, a security question does show, but it refuses to accept any version of the actual answer - very unclear what it saved.  Makes one wonder why on earth to use TurboTax!

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

tasserikk

I want to transfer my 2019 tax return info to my 2020 tax return and in order to do that I need a password for my 2019 tax return.  I lost it.  How do I retrieve it ?  Every year I have the same problem and I am tired of having to retype all my basic information..   This is a weakness of TT.

Password protection is not part of the TurboTax program. This is part of your operating system for PDF files where a password can be added to the tax files.

This happens mostly to macs Due to some keychain thing.

If you go to the PDF file in windows you should be able to change the password protection through the Adobe reader or whatever other PDF reader you used.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies