Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot save tax file

I am a very long-time Turbo Tax user. I just downloaded Turbo Tax 2019 for Windows desktop (like I do every year) and started a new return, but, when I tried to save it, I got the following error message: "File not found. Check the file name and try again." Well, of course, the file was not found because this was the first time I tried to save it. I also tried to "Save As," with the same result. Then I tried going into the place where my past years' turbo tax files are stored and creating a new file name that matched what this saved file's name should be, then saving to that file, with the same result "File not found." What gives?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

80 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot save tax file

EDIT--it does allow me to save the file to "desktop," which is not where all my other Turbo Tax files are located.

Cannot save tax file

2019 TT Premier on Win 10 HP ENVY will not save file.  Same TT DISC used on Microsoft Surface Pro works fine.  Need to do return on HP Envy. Have tried obvious thigs like restarting PC, uninstalling and reinstalling TT, tried different target directory, tried different file suffix.  all did not work.  Suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot save tax file

I have the same problem! I also could save to the desktop. I then moved the tax2019 file to the Documents/Turbotax folder. I opened TT again, and it could see and load the tax2019 file from there. But when I tried to save, I got this error:  "We're having trouble saving your file to this location. Try unplugging your device and saving again or choose a different device or hard drive. Error: 102348 Click for solutions" I tried to click for solutions, but no answer there. 

I also tried to Opt. Out of all the e-mail/phone/mail junk, but it didn't alow me unless I filled in a long form with all my personal information. STUPID!

Are there ANY TurboTax tech support people checking this forum? 

Cannot save tax file

@Anonymous @Anonymous @czs712 @Phillip3 

1)   Here's the TTX Customer Support Number to let tech support work on it with you on the phone:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

2) On multi-user systems,  Make sure you are logged in on an Administrator account.  IF you are in some guest login, it may not have read-write permissions to that directory

3)  IF you want to try something else

.......TTX should only be installed and run as an Administrator.....not in some guest account without administrator privileges...but it's hard to know each person's exact setup.

But even if you did that already, there is an internal setting that sometimes needs to be implemented also.

So...Save your tax file and Exit TurboTax....then:

1)  right click TurboTax 2019 icon

2)  Select  … Properties

3)  Select the  Compatibility tab

4) In the "Settings" box … check the box to "Run this program as an administrator"

5) Apply...OK...then restart the program and try again

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Cannot save tax file

I had same problem and someone posted this solution that worked for me.  Person said it was issue with Windows 10.  To work around: Go to settings.  Select Update and Security.  Select Windows Security in left hand column. Go to Virus and Threat Protection Settings and under that heading select "manage settings."  Go to Controlled Folder Access and turn it off. 

After I did that, I could then save.  You hopefully will be able to save your Turbo Tax file under"

C:\Users\yourname\documents\TurboTax\2019 your info

I made a note to turn Controlled Folder Access back on after I finished return.  Hope it works for you!  Fran

leswexler

Cannot save tax file

This worked for me!  Thanks.  I was able to save my 2019 return info now.

Carl
Level 15

Cannot save tax file

I've seen this issue every single year since the release of Windows 10. This is caused by a Windows 10 setting and has nothing to do with the TurboTax program. The fix is not intuitive, but it is simple, *if* you know how.

Click Start, then the Settings icon (the little gear wheel) to open the Windows Settings applet.

In the search box enter "Controlled Folder Access" (without the quotation marks) and press the enter key on your keyboard.

In the search results window click on "Controlled Folder Access". This opens the "Ransomeware Protection" applet.

First item listed is "Controlled Folder Access". You can turn it off, which I don't recommend, or configure it to allow TurboTax to save to the default location as designed and intended.  To configure it:

Click "Allow an app through controlled folder access"

Select "Add an allowed app" followed by "recently blocked apps"

Select the TurboTax program and then OK out  of everything.

That does it.

Carlson49

Cannot save tax file

Happens every year!  I cannot save the tax file.  Then I find out it was very easy!  Anyone help?

Cannot save tax file

See above postings for the solution.  Yep, it's easy once you know the trick!

Koi
Level 1

Cannot save tax file

Rather than turning off "Controlled Folder Access" add TurboTax to allowed program access.  Windows 10 will give you a list of recently denied programs and allow you to select TurboTax from the list.

Cannot save tax file

Like several other TurboTax users for 2019, I am unable to save the file when I try to exit the program. I get a notice that the file is not found, of course not as I have just started it. How can I save my tax file?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Cannot save tax file

@f8Reeder21, Please reach out to Customer Support via the Contact Us link below for assistance with your software not saving your tax file:
 https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Cannot save tax file

This works.  You're a genius Fran, and so is the other user that sent the solution! :-))

Cannot save tax file

I can't save a 2019 tax file on my mac. I have tried renaming the file as well as saving to different locations. Please help!!!! This is the first time this has happened using TT.

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies