Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot install Turbo Tax 2020.

did you try to install when running download as administrator? is your o/s Windows 10S? did you try installing while the display resolution was 800 X 600? if not contact TT.  there have been multiple threads about the issues with installing the app. 

@arthurland - just to confirm, the file has downloaded to your harddrive.  it should be about 187mg. 

and to confirm, you right clicked on the file to 'run as administrator'? 

please confirm what occurs after that point again. 

I have an Admin account and even opened the exe file in Admin mode.  The OS is Windows 10 Home 20H2.  Changing the screen resolution made no difference.  The TT installer fails immediately before any setup files can be extracted. The exe file is not being blocked from running, but it cannot extract the setup archive.

have you tried deleting the file and re-downloading from the TT website?  I'd try that and if that doesn't solve the problem, contact TT.   

it is interesting that you have MS Version 20H2 - sees that hasn't been the smoothest of upgrades.  Can I further assume you have a new computer (purchased after Oct 10, 2020?)

the issue on the resolution is only going to be of value when you get to the activation screen, but your issue is prior to that. 

Yes, the latest exe file xxx_090.102  was downloaded to the hard drive, with size just over 190 MB. My account is Adminstrator, but just to be sure I right clicked on the file and ran it as Administrator.  First I get a warning from Account Control stating the file is from an unknown publisher and asking if its ok to make changes to the computer so I click Yes. The installer then starts to extract files, gets 2 quick progress bars then I see the message "failed to extract archive" after just a few seconds.  The only choice is to quit the installer by clicking ok .  This is the same result for every other thing I tried. 

I looked inside the CKZ_xxx folder that gets created in the Temp folder.  I see the TT setup file which is about 1.3 MB and a folder named Turbotax 2020.  Inside that folder is a config file with size 8 KB, and the TT installer file with size about 1.3 MB.

Using an app that tests compressed archives, the TT 2020 download file has a checksum error on the Windows 10 machine.  I then downloaded the Windows file to my Mac and moved it over to the Win 10 machine with a thumb drive - no checksum error in this file.  When I ran this exe file it successfully installed TT2020, but then a new problem came up.  On the activation screen, TT would not accept the license code that was copied from the TT download page and also verified with the original order confirmation.  Also, the TT window asking for the license code would not accept a right click on the mouse, so a copy & paste of the code would not work.  I ran a full system hardware test for RAM, HD and all components on the PC, ran a full system virus scan, and re-ran the SFC test for system software.  Result: no problems found anywhere.  At some point I installed the Chrome browser and used it to download the TT 2020 file, which again had a checksum error.  Strangely enough, the Chrome download file itself also had a checksum error but enough of this browser got installed so I could do a download.  All this is very strange especially since I have done many large downloads, including Microsoft Win 10 updates, and had no problems.  It's almost like something on the Windows 10 machine is selectively corrupting certain download files.  So it's time to regroup and dig deeper(if possible), knowing that the TT download file is not inherently corrupt. 

when you go to the activation screen, did it freeze? 

change the screen resolution to 800x600 and then launch TT again.....

once you activate the software, change the resolution back to its original configuration. 

have you tried disabling anti-virus and firewall until installed? also any similar type programs.  

MrPhotoman2010
Returning Member

I downloaded file w_turbotax_1040_dlx_tta_[phone number removed] on 11/23/20. On or about 12/17/20, I decided to install the Software. My 1st attempt failed when the extraction just went dead after the extraction process. That was a surprise. That never happened B4 for the past 35 years.  Several attempts ended with the same problem. I went to Search and found many users were complaining about the issue. I called TT and was sent some things to try. All failed. Called TT again on 12/21/20. Got disconnected after 20 minutes. Called TT on 12/22/20 and was sent more things to try. All failed. Called TT on 12/23/20 and got the same person I originally talked to on 12/17/20. I said I was about to buy H&R Block and kiss TT good buy. He said he would send me a file with a new License Code and to try that. The file I downloaded was w_turbotax_1040_dlx_tta_[phone number removed]. Notice it is a different version. I installed the file without any issues!

MrPhotoman2010
Returning Member

Just posted a success story with a new version of the TT file but it posted without the version detail. I will try again Bad version is 010.0101. Good version is 100.0101

To set the stage, I'm running a Dell with wifi, 8 GB RAM and Windows 10 Home version 20H2.  All versions of the TT file downloaded successfully, but when I run the  downloaded .exe file the installation gets 2 progress bars and stops with the message: "failed to extract archive".  I analyzed this downloaded file with the 7Zip app and it reports a checksum error.  I went to my Mac and downloaded the TT Windows file there and copied it to the Windows machine.  No checksum error, and the installation progressed normally until it got to the window where you enter the license code.  TT would not accept the license code and would not recognize a right mouse click to paste in the code - so manually entered the code from both the TT download page and the order confirmation email.  Still did not accept the code.

I have tried a long list of things to diagnose this problem including:  3 different browsers, firewall and virus scanner off, Windows Defender turned off, ran the SFC system software check (no problems), ran installer as administrator (my account is already admin), ran a full virus scan of the system (nothing found), ran the exhaustive pre-boot system analyzer which took a couple hours (zero problems found), switched my network from wifi to Ethernet to download the TT file, used Task Manager to stop the Intuit update service process.   None of this made any difference- the TT download file (3 different versions) has a checksum error and will not install.  Oh, and I downloaded the TT 2019 and 2018 files which installed on the same machine just fine back then.  Same problem- checksum error and failed to install.   Other apps I recently downloaded had no checksum error and no installation problem.

This points to something in Windows 10 Home 20H2 and/or a wifi/Ethernet driver which are at their latest available versions.  If people can install TT under this same Windows version, then it might mean something specific on my PC, despite the 100% clean bill of health.

mgoshea66

Did not work on 800x600. 

@mgoshea66 wrote:

Did not work on 800x600. 

Contact TurboTax support for assistance.

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Helen Klemko
Returning Member

I purchased the disc from Sams and I cannot get it to download on Windows 10.  Why?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

To initiate installation, insert your CD and then follow the steps provided in the link provided below. I hope this helps.

Installing CD on Windows 10 computer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies