Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I share turbo tax 2023 product key with a family member if we have different turbo tax log in accounts?

Another possibility is that you started in the Online version then switched to the Desktop program so it's in both places.  If you download the online return pdf is it the full copy and matches the return you actually filed? 

Can I share turbo tax 2023 product key with a family member if we have different turbo tax log in accounts?

Sorry----you are mistaken about this and we are correcting you because other users read these threads and we want to prevent incorrect information from being spread in the user forum.  You are just flat out wrong.     You did not find a return prepared using the CD/download in your online TT account.  It might have been put in My Docs----which is different---- or you just do not realize what you did that year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Here are two FAQ's written BY TurboTax that explain clearly that returns prepared using desktop software are not stored on the online servers.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901659-find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac

At the bottom of this one it says

Note: We can't retrieve tax returns that were prepared in TurboTax Desktop software because your data is stored locally on your computer's hard drive. This is the case even if you e-filed. E-filing doesn't create copies on our servers.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/find-last-year-tax-data-file-...

At the end of this one it tells you:

A .tax file can only be opened in the TurboTax Desktop software. Because it's stored locally on your computer, we can't retrieve tax data files prepared in the TurboTax Desktop software. E-filing doesn't keep a copy of your return on our servers.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

My online account says “It looks like you didn’t file a 2022 return with TurboTax Online. If you need to file or amend a 2022 return, you can purchase one of our prior year products here.” Below that the options are “Download/print return (PDF)”, My Docs, “Download .tax file”. I clicked the .pdf and .tax and both downloaded successfully a copy of my desktop return from last year. The articles state the information is not stored online but mine were. 

It is entirely possible to prepare a return online and not file it.  So you were still able to access that return, even though it was never e-filed.    What you might be seeing online is a return you prepared using online TT, and for whatever reason, did not e-file.  

Sounds like later you used desktop and then stored the files in My Docs.    They are in My Docs.  They are not on the TT server.

I found another good link, (might be better).  See this chart of tax data files vs PDF files
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/data-systems/difference-tax-data-file-pd...

See the 7th item - Saved on our secure servers(TurboTax Desktop). It says NO for both the Tax data file and PDF file.

Dear Expert Sir/Madam,

I can't think of what is the usage model to allow 1 single user to install TT in 5 computers own by the same single person? I thought the reason the TT CD bought is mean to share among 5 different users from 5 different family to reduce the cost? Thx.

You can do unlimited returns like for your family on your computers.  Some people have a Desktop and a laptop.  Or a Windows PC and a Mac.  It's always been install on 5 computers you own.  Now they are enforcing it,  

Thanks a lot for your reply. From my point of view, to file for my tax, I only need to install in 1 computer, and click submit. End of story. I personally don't have the need to install TT on different computers. And I don't have other family members (such as sibling or parents) who need to file tax. 

It is "unlimited tax returns for family members"--but each TT disc is typically good for only 5 free Federal E-files. After that you will have to print and file any returns manually, through the mail. I don't know that I've ever seen the phrase "up to five computers that you own" until this year.  I think the box last year said only "up to five computers." For the past 10 years or so I've bought one TT disc and used one of the five Federal (and state) returns for myself, then sent the disc on to my two sons who each put it on their own computers and each one of them used one more of the five Federal/state returns that were available, for a total of three that were used.

This is also the first time that I've ever seen the TT disc having to be used with only ONE TT account.  In years past I don't remember ever having to create a user account for TT.

Why make it available to use for up to five Federal/state returns if you can only use it with one TT account?  I'm not sure I'd want my sons to be able to see my tax return, and I don't need to see theirs either.

Frustrating....

I'm responding to the "anonymous" user, because I had the same concern about sharing my TT account ID with other family members, and being able to see each other's old tax returns (or this year's tax return).  I've always used the desktop CD version, and never used the online version.  I logged into my online account and clicked around everywhere, and could not find any document or prior tax return.  I specifically looked in the links/folders that were suggested, and everything appears empty.  My conclusion is that the TT experts are correct that if you have truly only used the desktop version, that there are no documents or prior tax returns found in the online account.

I always thought that it was OK to share TT among family members...I've done so  just about forever, it seems.

But now the User License Agreement seems more confusing.  It says "you may only: (i) install and use a copy of the Software on up to five (5) computers owned by you (at home or at work); (ii) use the Software only to prepare, print and/or electronically file your own federal 2023 tax year returns and related 2023 state tax returns; and (iii) make one backup copy of the Software for your own personal use as permitted under this license grant." (BOLD emphasis is mine.)

So if I'm reading this correctly, I can use my TT disc on up to five computers that I own (I currently own 4 at my house) but can use the software ONLY to prepare, print, and/or electronically file MY OWN Federal and state 2023 tax returns.

I don't understand why I'd want to put this on up to five computers that I own--I can't imagine working on my own tax return on five different computers at the same time (not sure how they would share info to keep the status of the unfinished return the same on all five computers).

And I also don't understand why TT comes with five Federal returns if I can ONLY use it to prepare/print/e-file MY OWN tax return!  I'm guessing that a person can't file more than one tax return, so this doesn't make sense to me.

So this year, my family will have to buy three copies of TT--one for me and one for each of my sons--so that we can each file OUR OWN tax returns....instead of sharing the same TT disc and each of us using our own computers to prepare and file our own returns.  Logistically it's impractical for all three of us to use the same computer to do our taxes, and that would seem to be in violation of the User Agreement if we did, since (again) the Agreement states that we can use it only to prepare/print/e-file OUR OWN tax returns.

Again, I'm frustrated....and confused....

It's always been this way.  You can install the program on 5 computers you own just now they are enforcing it.  But you can still prepare unlimited returns for  your family and friends.  You can efile 5 for free.  The rest you can print and mail.  Can your family and sons use one of your computers to do their returns?  

I spoke with a software representative about having a second user in our household added, with another account identity (email and phone).  The representative said NO, that starting this year an online account is required for one person (email and phone identity) but that person may install it on 5 computers.  It will all be linked to one identity (email and phone).  If that's satisfactory for your household then set it up on up to 5 devices.  If they need to recheck identity they will send a key to that email and or phone.  I also asked if it's possible for me to erase another's tax they stored online if I wanted to, and they said yes you can do that if you want.   To me that setup sounds like an urgent security issue.  so be sure to double check with others before erase their taxes 

Tvle

Hi,

I logged into my Intuit account and then selected my TurboTax product. I was not able to find my previous year tax return documents even though I have used TurboTax locally and e-filed for many prior years. I’ve never used the online version of TurboTax. Can you confirm if you were able to access your return online when you used only used the desktop version?  Is it possible that you had access to the previous years’ returns because you used online TurboTax?  Thanks. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies