turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I file taxes on my ssi

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

67 Replies

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration.  It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.   SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return.

However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter social security benefits in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to social security benefits

Hal_Al
Level 15

The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return claiming kids requires you to  have some earned income (wages or self employment). Without earned income, you are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit. Neither SSI or Social Security benefits are considered earned income.

If you are a student, over age 23, and are not claimed as a dependent by someone else (e.g. your parent) you may be eligible for the up to $1000 refundable American Opportunity (tuition) Credit. That credit is not dependent on having either kids or earned income. You must be at least a half time undergraduate student and actually paid tuition (not just had it paid by grants). Tuition paid by loans counts as paid by you (since you have to pay that back, someday)

A child can be the “qualifying child” dependent of any close relative in the household. If you live with someone else, e.g. your parents, it may be better if they claim your child.

Yes

@Amber Holliker  You wrote "Yes."

Was that supposed to be a response to someone else's question, or do you have a question of your own?  If you are telling someone that they need to file a tax return when their income is SSI, that was incorrect.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Can I file SSI on my tax I had a job but I don't make that much but few hunder

@Yungfolk6969 

Your post is confusing ... but if you are asking if you had taxable  income can you file a return the answer is yes. 

However if your only income is from SSI .... Because supplemental security income benefits are considered to be assistance, they're therefore NOT taxable income. They do not have to be reported on a tax return. 

Sometimes people refer to Social Security benefits as "SSI" by mistake--so we do not know if you really receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income--and they are different.  If you get SSI, you do not enter it on a tax return at all.

If you get a SSA1099 in January it would be for Social Security benefits, which you do not have to report on an income tax return if that is your ONLY income.  You might have to report your Social Security income if you have some other form of income as well.

You need to file a federal return if half your Social Security plus your other income is $25,000 when filing single or head of household, or $32,000 when filing married filing jointly, $0 if you are filing married filing separately.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I on ssi can i file taxes 

@Deanna198039 wrote:

I on ssi can i file taxes 

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.
However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099

Otfdev4x

Can I file taxes on my SSI 

@Otfdev4x wrote:

Can I file taxes on my SSI 

READ the answer directly above your post.  It has all the information you need.

Keiron22

Can i file texes i am on ssi

If you only get ssi or SS or SSDI you do not have to file a return and you get no benefits or credits by claiming dependents or deductions.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, If you only get SSI you do not have to file a return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies